How to DIY a glass tank

SlackTide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thickness Calculator

Tank construction is not hard, its a minimum labour job any teenager can do with great success, one element to consider when ordering glass is "edge work" this does not have to be a highly polished finish as it is usually hidden or covered, ask for an Arrissed edge, this means the glass will be run down a wet belt sander to leave a small beveled edge and remove any sharp, cutting and fragile areas. An Arrissed edge is the cheapest edge work and as edge work is charged by the linear inch it can make for huge savings.

Overflow and bulkhead holes in most shops charge about $10.00 a hole, buying a diamond bit is money well spent for future usage as they last a long time. The key to safety in drilling a pane/panel of glass is to allow 1 diameter of glass hole from edge, if in a corner do not make the hole equal distance from the edges as this is the weakest and most vulnerable location, 1 dia down and 1 1/2 dia over is safer.

Silicon is the standard adhesive for glass tanks, there are many suitable for use in several colors, check with the manufacturer, website or 1-800 # to be certain what you pick is suitable, some silicon's contain an anti fungal ingredient and will be deadly to some tank inhabitants, silicon STINKS! use in well vented areas, silicon is an air activated cure, the thicker you put it, the longer it takes to cure, acetic acid is emitted for some time and will be harmful or deadly to tank inhabitants (acetic acid)
Working with glass can be dangerous, proper clothing, glass gloves and eye protection are highly recommended.
Masking tape, razor blades,paper towels, wooden blocks and a good flat rigid surface are about all thats needed, if you can work up against a wall even better as this will be a big assist in setting the first panel on the bed, spacing it away from the wall a bit with wood blocks is good and will allow you to move the tank later.

Top Trim can be a bit awkward but for a bit more money you can order extra glass and create a Euro style brace, this is usually a border of glass silicon ed in at the top on its edge at 90 degrees to the display panel, some larger tank will require an additional center brace, that is beyond the scope of this article. I fabricate top frames in 3/16 angel iron with 1'' legs and have this epoxied and powdercoated then silicon it in place at the end

OP
OP
SlackTide

SlackTide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First you will need to figure out what size tank you desire and order glass, article 1 has the glass thickness calculator and other essentials that will be needed.

This tank is 60''long x 22'' wide x18'' tall. 60x22x18=23,760 sq'' divided by 231 =102.85 US gallons.
For this I ordered 1@60x22, 2@60x18, [email protected] x18, the end plates are reduced by twice the thickness of the glass selected.

On a clean, solid work top against a wall place the bottom plate, using wooden spacers that are taller than the glass put them between the glass and the wall, this gives you a guide and a way to steady the first panel, now run a nice continuous bead of silicon where the back panel will sit.Carefully set the panel in position ensuring it touches the wooden blocks and tape the glass to the wall. Repeat this step for the two end plates, making sure they have good contact with the glass they are joining and are set square with the edges, again tape them in position across the top, when the ends are secured properly you should repeat the procedure for the front panel.

As each panel is set there will be a little excess silicon, carefully supporting the panel use a wetted finger to shape a small fillet, a glass of water on hand makes this quite easy and much less messy, after doing this to all panels while the silicon is still uncured you will want to run a nice fat bead of silicon on all 8 joints. Silicon will not adhere well to cured silicon so don't bother doing an extra bead the next day, it wont help.For really nice clean seams its best to masking tape both sides of every seam and remove it as soon as the beads are laid.
You should now deal with the top frame, if your doing a Euro style brace wait 24 hrs before installing

Bottom Plate with spacers and overflow hole
Garage010.jpg

Back Panel painted with Kyrlon Blue
Garage009.jpg

Back Panel siliconed and secured
Garage006.jpg

End Panel in place
Garage005-1.jpg

All Panels secured
Garage004-1.jpg

Top Frame installed
Garage003-2.jpg

Myteemouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the trim (90 outside corner) and bottom trim from home depot vinyl and paintedd it black..
Also got the RTV 103 black from Grainger. industrial strength and black :)
And Thank you first DIY tank EVER

Last edited:
OP
OP
SlackTide

SlackTide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once you start making tanks your finished lol, must say I have more faith in my own tanks than any Ive bought, you make any skimmers? I have an elephants grave yard of skimmers in my garage attic lol

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back