Wrasse Keepers - Show me your covers

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a ~60 gal rimless tank, and want to put in a wrasse or two. I have a six line and a cleaner wrasse (who does great), but want to add something very colorful and active. It'll probably be the last fish in the tank for my Display.

What is the cleanest way to cover the tank, but still keep the rimless, open look at much as you can? Any ideas? I have mostly SPS as well, so I don't wanna block out the light either.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, thanks. I'm looking for some clear mesh to use, and trying to think of something to use for the frame thats super thin. If I could get away with the mesh directly on the glass, I'd do it. I wonder if I could use some type of U shaped plastic piece, cut to size, and run it along the sides, pushing it down over the glass with the mesh glued to the top of the bottom part.

I'm going to Lowes to look around at lunch tomorrow.

fenderguy1

Prop/Shipping Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo0456.jpg
Photo0458.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a rimless aquarium and the first top I made was inset inside the opening but I found that to be flimsy, also, when you pull the mesh tight, the frame bows to the point that a fish can jump out.

I ordered some 1" 90* fiberglass stock and fabricated a 'rim' for the tank where window screen aluminum inset into it so it's got a tight seal around the rim of the aquarium and the mesh is removable should I accidently rip/cut it. It doesn't look as clean with it but if it'll help my fish to live long term, I'm fine with it :D

IMG_6471.jpg

IMG_6467.jpg

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, Thats kind of what I want to do. I want to make it as clean as possible, but I know putting the top on won't keep the "rimless" look going. I don't need it yet, but if I order an expensive wrasse, which I might be doing soon, it'll be something I def put on. I wish I could find something that was strong, yet clear. I wonder if I could make something you made with acrylic to keep the clear and clean look going.

Joost's reef

TEEN REEFER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ADA sells stainless steel hooks with its tanks to place a glass lid on the tank. Unfourtunately I can't find any pictures but it is similair to this (but different of course):
thumb2.php

For my next I'll definitely go that route although you'd properly have to DIY for bigger tanks

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I"m thinking about using acrylic bar stock, like rectangular acrylic for the frame. I'll cut it exactly internal dimensions, and put small tabs on the corners for it to rest on. This way its still smooth looking on the top. Now I just need to find that bar stock and the acrylic glue for it :)

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a 6line for about 3 yrs now and he's never tried to jump out (part of me wish he did, he's a mean SOB). Are you sure you need a screen top?

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm looking to get some new wrasses, like an expensive Rhomboid and another wrasse or two, which are prone to jumping.

I took my six line out and put him in my other tank. He was the only aggressive fish I had left in my tank, and didn't want to risk putting a $300 Rhomboid in there and have the $13 six line chase it out of the water :)

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I'm gonna revive my old thread so I can showoff my top I finally got done. I used .38" acrylic bar, cut to the inside dimensions of the tank. I love it. I wish I did a little better on the acrylic gluing, but its one of my first acrylic projects, so I'm happy it turned out decent.

2011-01-23_17-12-19_704.jpg

2011-01-23_17-12-50_968.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back