Wrasses together?

Dansters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have a 36 gallon tank with a 10 gallon sump. Stocking I have a clownfish, flasher wrasse, blue streak cleaner wrasse, and an indigo dotty back. Will adding a yellow coris wrasse be too much bio load or will the wrasses be aggressive?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Currently I have a 36 gallon tank with a 10 gallon sump. Stocking I have a clownfish, flasher wrasse, blue streak cleaner wrasse, and an indigo dotty back. Will adding a yellow coris wrasse be too much bio load or will the wrasses be aggressive?
They're different wrasses so will likely be fine together. However, the tank is too small for the Chrysus long-term.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the cleaner wrasse. They rarely live long in anything other than a large, heavily stocked tank.

Consider some less active fish like a basslet (like a royal gramma), damselfish, and cardinals.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be ok if you have a sand bottom for him

OP
OP
D

Dansters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're different wrasses so will likely be fine together. However, the tank is too small for the Chrysus long-term.
Do you know of any other wrasse that’d be a good size for the tank and colorful. I feel like a lot of the smaller fish that my LFS has shown me haven’t been very colorful.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the cleaner wrasse. They rarely live long in anything other than a large, heavily stocked tank.

Consider some less active fish like a basslet (like a royal gramma), damselfish, and cardinals.
My blue streak is over 2 years now with me. He cleans everybody that wants a scale pedicure.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What Flasher do you have? @Slocke might be able to recommend another Flasher variety or a Fairy.

OP
OP
D

Dansters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The cleaner wrasse has been living in the tank for probably close to two years now. It eats a lot of pellets everyday. What time line were you thinking for not living long in a small tank? Just curious so I know what to expect

OP
OP
D

Dansters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Flasher do you have? @Slocke might be able to recommend another Flasher variety or a Fairy.
Honestly not 100% sure. The store said that they don’t know the exact name because there’s so many different types of flasher wrasse. I’ll post a picture tomorrow when the lights are on. Thank you all for your help too!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cleaner wrasse has been living in the tank for probably close to two years now. It eats a lot of pellets everyday. What time line were you thinking for not living long in a small tank? Just curious so I know what to expect
It’s an incredibly active fish and grows to 6”. You did really well to get it to eat pellets but is too big and active for a small tank like that.
Do you know of any other wrasse that’d be a good size for the tank and colorful. I feel like a lot of the smaller fish that my LFS has shown me haven’t been very colorful.
Mystery wrasse, six line, four line. Really most wrasse are too active for that size tank. A Pseudocheilinus species or the Pseudocheilinops are good. As are possum wrasse.
Honestly not 100% sure. The store said that they don’t know the exact name because there’s so many different types of flasher wrasse. I’ll post a picture tomorrow when the lights are on. Thank you all for your help too!
Flasher wrasse need a 3ft tank minimum to perform their natural behavior and flash. These are free swimming fish. For a tank that size you need fish that stick to small territories.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an incredibly active fish and grows to 6”. You did really well to get it to eat pellets but is too big and active for a small tank like that.

Mystery wrasse, six line, four line. Really most wrasse are too active for that size tank. A Pseudocheilinus species or the Pseudocheilinops are good. As are possum wrasse.

Flasher wrasse need a 3ft tank minimum to perform their natural behavior and flash. These are free swimming fish. For a tank that size you need fish that stick to small territories.
I agree with this however I think it depends on the tank set up with enough rocks for them to dart in and out of. My DT is only 65g and I had 5 wrasses in there with no issues but I attribute that to a lot of rockscape and caves to satisfy their natural pest hunting curiosity. Currently have 3 now along with 9 other fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions?

Short term I’d say any wrasse will work but long term this tank is too small for any of the 3 wrasses.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back