Long time reefer, new to here --- my 3 tanks.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was asked to start tank build in my new to here thread, so here it goes. First a little background; started my first saltwater tank back in college - around 1991. It was a standard 55 with a cinder block stand. Had dead coral skeletons that needed to be removed and bleached every month. Around '96 the center brace cracked and I replaced the 55 with a 75.
A couple of years later the 75 was taken down (( used the NO fluorescent lights to keep my house plants alive -- lived in a small dark garden level apartment in Chicago )) but had a 10 gallon running.
After that I move into a larger apartment (( with my soon to be ex wife ;) )) which allowed me to reset up the 75 and pick up a 58. At one point in that place (( was a 2 floor apartment in the city )) I had the 75, 58, 29, and 10 up a running.
Around 2003 the divorce was final and I moved to the 'burbs with the 75, 58 and 29. After a while I took down the 29 and replaced it with a 33 cube, which after a couple of years was replaced with a 40 breeder.

That brings us to today, in a new place with a 75 (( replaced the old one with a new one when I moved )), a 65 (( replaced the 58 during the same move )) and the 40 breeder.

During the last 3 years I have managed to have 6 back surgeries, which have made me cut back on the scope of the tanks (( need to be able to skip maintenance once in a while. So before I get to the current tanks, here are 3 of the old tanks at their best -- IMO.

The 33, back in 2009

FTS15_2_9.jpg

The 58, back in July 2009

RadiumFlash.jpg

The 75, back in July 2010

75FTS7_17_10.jpg

Okay, now onto the current tanks, in the next post

OP
OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost feel like the current tanks are going to stand up to the old ones, but hopefully in the future I will be healthy enough to devote that much time to getting them back like that.

Will start with the 40 breeder -- which I do need to take some updated pictures of.
It is a standard 40 breeder, with a 20 long sump that I made myself (( all 3 tanks have the same sump design )) using an Octopus "extreme XS 160 protein skimmer". For lights I have a standard TEK 6 bulb 36" T5 fixture.

The current inhabitants are a pair of bangii cardinals (( though I have a feeling I will have to remove the smallest one )), a pair of clowns (( B&W ocellaris and a SI perc )), shrimp goby/pistol shrimp pair and lastly an Venustus dwarf angel.

Some pictures of them,

Clownsplus.jpg

gobyshrimp4.jpg

two.jpg

An older FTS --- really need to update this -- back in September

001-1.jpg

An acro crab,

024.jpg

OP
OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tanks, love the nems, mine was too hungry to keep, but i miss mine.

Thanks. At one point I did have 5 S. haddonis, the longest one was in my care for 12 years. Was "lucky" to only lose 5-6 fish to them over the years.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice - looking forward to the new and improved.

OP
OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, some pictures of the 65 -- has the same sump/skimmer as the 40 (( will get a picture of that later one )).
Right now it is mainly a softy tank (( Xenia, let the girlfriend pick it out, pretty much taking over the tank, but that is fine for now )), but it does also have a green S. haddoni and its porcelain crab.
I have an old (( picked it up around 1999 )) Hamilton full fixture over it -- 2*250 MH (( Radiums )) + 2*96 PCs (( dual actinic and 50/50 )).

Side shot,

65FTSside2.jpg

Head on shot, (( the overflow it pretty much covered now ))

65FTS2.jpg

A shot of it in the loft,

Loftdonedone3.jpg

And now for the fish.

Flame angel (( Centropyge loricula )) -- was part of a pair, but lost the female when I moved.

Flame1.jpg

Coral beauty (( Centropyge bispinosa ))

CoralBeauty2.jpg

Multicolored

multi1.jpg

Golden algae blenny (( Atrosalarias fuscus ))

Golden2.jpg

Golden1.jpg

There is always a flasher wrasse in there that I need to get a picture of, hopefully tonight.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice - you snuck the first post in just as I was posting LOL. True enough that these aren't quite up to the old ones, but you can see the potential for them to get there, and that is a big part of the fun isn't it?

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing!!

OP
OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice - you snuck the first post in just as I was posting LOL. True enough that these aren't quite up to the old ones, but you can see the potential for them to get there, and that is a big part of the fun isn't it?

I am sneaky like that. ;) Thanks, and yes that is the big part of it -- I've done it in the past and know that I can do it again. Right now, getting my back straightened out (( pun intended )) is taking priority.

Gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks for looking

Welcome! Beautiful reefs!

Thanks you very much.

Didn't get any new pictures tonight -- had an injection into my spine yesterday, and it is a bit more sore than I expected. I do have some recent pictures, but not new. :)

From my 75, my mated pair of orange skunks, with the sun light hitting them.

Skunk3.jpg

Can see the male in the back ground.

Skunk2.jpg

Them spawning,

eggs.jpg

OP
OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. So do your angel fish play nice with each other. Nice pics too.

Thanks a lot. Yeah, they do. The multicolored and coral beauty have been together for almost 2 years now -- the coral beauty was the leader. When I moved I pulled Venustus dwarf out of the group -- wanted it in its own tank, so the multicolored and coral beauty were in the 65. After a while I decided to move the flame to that tank -- put it in an acclimation box for a week, so they could all get used to each other, and released it. For the first day or 2 there was some chasing b/t it and that coral beauty. That has calmed down and the flame is the leader.

Beautiful tanks! I love the carpet anemones in the past ones, very cool.

Thank you. I do miss having all the haddonis, but don't miss being nervous every time a dwarf angel would swim near it.

OP
OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was able to get some updated pictures of the 40 breeder;

Some rics,

Rics1.jpg

Close up,

Rics2.jpg

Some of the fish,

vent2.jpg

vent.jpg

card.jpg

2 of the 3 clams (( the oldest, not pictured, has been with me for about 10 years ))

clam1.jpg

clam2.jpg

ORA goni

goni1.jpg

Some zoas

zoa1.jpg

Lastly, a full tank shot -- turned out a bit bright.

FTS4_20_12.jpg

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pics great lookin tanks both old ones and new ones

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TREX first time I've seen your tanks! Awesome!! I'd kill for a red haddoni like that. Beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 27.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back