pdiehm New Build

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been ongoing for a while now, for a variety of reasons. First it was reading everything I could, trying to understand what needs to be done, how it can be done and more importantly why.

Backstory is that one day my 4 year old daughter was watching my cichlid tank, and asked why we couldn't have Nemo. I explained to her as best that I could that the waters were different, and such. Little did she know that when she asked that, I immediately asked why can't we? Since I was working from home, with not a whole lot to do, I started reading up on it. I had a plan!

The plan

The plan was to turn my 75 gallon Cichlid tank into a 75 gallon FOWLR tank. I went to the local fish place here in town, and started to ask questions. She offered me a hang on the back overflow box. I told her that I'd think about it. Went home and read some more. I didn't like the idea of the hang on overflow box. If the siphon broke, wet carpets...wife majorly ****** off. Not a good scenario. My tank isn't reef ready...I'll buy a reef ready tank! Oops...jesus h...expensive! More on that later. I thought, why can't I drill the glass? Read up on that. AH HA! It's doable. More reading on what i need, and what kind of overflow I was going to use. At first, I was going to use a kit from glass holes, but where the tank is located, noise of any kind is not an option. Lots of "fixes" to make it quiet. None that I saw interested me very much, and saw a post about the BeanAnimal overflow system. Read more about it, googled it, youtubed it...QUIET!!!!!! YES!!!! Touchdown! 3 holes, but how far down, where to place them, all confused me some. More reading.

While i was reading, I started to think about what i wanted it to look like...and I quickly discovered, my 75 isn't big enough for 2 Nemo's, and Dory, amongst other things. Craigslist...here I come! Guy 5 miles away was selling a 5' 110 gallon Oceanic for $50. Cha-Ching! Was going to go get it, but whammo, tore my calf muscle a week before I was going to get it. Football season was starting, and since I coach, my time was going to be very limited, very soon. I had to wait until 2nd week of September. Went and got the tank. PROBLEM #1: my wife could barely lift it out of the truck with me. This was not going to be a problem easily solved. We got it down, and ****, that thing was heavy. 1/2" glass all around, and a big ole glass center brace. That thing pushed over 200lbs if i had to guess...empty. I cleaned it up the best I could, and noticed a lot of scratches. This shouldn't have bothered me, but it did. I ended up drilling 3 holes...flawlessly. Painted the back. But the issue of how we were going to get it from the garage to the house remained. There wasn't an easy solution. Started looking around for a new tank. Ideally reef ready but again, the cost...insane. Went to That Pet Place in Lancaster, and talked to someone...new 120 gallon for $280? Not bad. How much is the reef ready? $599....WHUT!!!!!! I asked right then and there...why are reef ready tanks so much more expensive than a standard one? I mean, 30 minutes later, and soaking wet shoes, I have 3 holes. He gave me no answer that I found valuable.

The Objective: Sell the Oceanic for as much as I can. I listed it for $250. Had a few inquires...then someone came, saw it, and offered $200. Sold. CHACHING! my $50 tank, just flipped for $200. Ordered the new tank.

In the process, I made my own stand. I'm not a very big DIY person, this was my first woodworking build since High School. It turned out quite nice, but i made some mistakes. First mistake I made was not making the plywood sheeting meet. It's not a big deal, I can easily cover the gaps. Second mistake I made, and this one bothers me is that I didn't leave enough room to hide the trim of the tank bottom on the top of the stand. I basically made the stand 61x18.5". I can do it, but can't really do it until the tank is in it's permanent resting place.

AS of this moment, I have a tank, drilled...with a 48" overflow box on my garage floor (sitting on scrap 2x4's). I have a stand, that's eagerly awaiting it's guest (later this week, it'll get placed on the stand).

I cleared off my credit card, and then promptly put almost $1,000 back on it with black friday deals. Got an Aquamaxx skimmer, 75 lb Pukani Rock, a Hanna Checker for phosphates, a refractometer, 3 brute containers (2 32g, 1 20g), SeaKlear Phosphate remover, and my return pump, a Sicce Syncra 4.0. Explaining to the wife, that I essentially have everything I need to get going except sand, and that I saved approximately $400 was not the easiest thing I've ever done.

Next up is my plumbing. Once the tank is on the stand, I'll start rigging up the plumbing, and place my unions strategically since, I have to move the tank, I can't have the plumbing permanently assembled. It's gotta be able to be disassembled.

I need to order the glass baffles for my sump, and decide if I want to use a refugium or not. That requires more thinking about plumbing!

I need to figure out if I want 2 returns at the top of the tank or just 1 (leaning towards just 1).

Then I have to test it all out...and re-test it...and re-test it...and re-test it. Wet carpet is the quickest way for us to get a dog.

So my build started probably mid September, it's not complete yet. Why? Well, I coach football, and we have off 1 night a week. That night is typically spent with my wife and kids since I don't see a whole lot of them the other 6 days. Once the kids go to bed, I would work on the stand for about 45-60 minutes. this happened for about 2 months. Only in the past month have I really nailed the stand down and gotten it stained and such. Now Christmas is here, and the tree is where the tank would go. It's all good though. I figured January is when it'd go in the house. With my Pukani Rock still leeching phosphates (haven't had it a week yet), I have time. I'll keep dosing with SeaKlear.

When I get home, I'll add the pictures. It's crazy to see where it started...to where it is now...and it all began with a simple question:

Daddy, can we get Nemo?

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great story, Thank You for sharing it...

Sounds like you have things well in hand and I look forward to seeing pictures of the tank and how things progress.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics.

My RO/DI...refurb unit from spectrapure:

RO-DI.jpg

My Overflow box with a critter guard on top.

Overflow.jpg

Plumbing Parts...some of them at least.

Plumbing.jpg

My $20 Sump (40G breeder):

Sump.jpg

Building of the Stand:

Stand 1.jpg

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skinned the top with 3/4" Oak Plywood:

TopSkin.jpg

Same thing on the bottom:

BottomSkin.jpg

Front skin, with removeable braces via Magnet:

Braces.jpg

Painted the inside with Kilz:

Paint.jpg

Stain applied!

Stain-Side.jpg

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doors on (kind of):

Doors On.jpg

First attempt at doing 45 degree cuts.

DoorMoulding-GlueDry.jpg

The *almost* finished product:

FinishedStand-Needsfinishingtrim.jpg

Black Friday Goodies:

Goodies.jpg

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, keep them (pictures) coming we love to see progress like this... I can sit back and watch my tank all day long but, the true passion for me at least, is building and watching a tank setup come together.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a question...on my skimmer, what's that yellow tube near the collection cup? It's capped, but no idea what it's for...Aquamaxx's directions are umm....weak at best.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One is for air, other is for draining the skimmate out of the cup without removing it.

Last edited:

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start and I will be following along. Our stories, or shall I say adventure, are quite similar in nature. Only my daughter brought Nemo home with her!!! Good luck with the rest of the build.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I got yelled at last night. We received our water bill...egads. I've been making a lot of RO water recently, and my unit produces 3 parts waste...so wife asked me if there was any way to change it, or speed it up.

So, I've spent enough money at BRS, I had a significant amount of points saved...just knocked like $15 off a watersaver plus RODI unit. According to them, it produces 1 part waste to 1 part good. More importantly, doubling the speed of my current RO Unit.

P3FE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of their unit, and it works as advertised! You are going to love how quick those things make water and I'm sure it will help with that water bill.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to look into this also...

200236-aquatec-permeate-pump-1000-wclip-a_1.jpg

Aquatec’s original Permeate Pump (ERP1000) is a simple, yet revolutionary, device. Powered only by the hydraulic energy of brine water usually lost to the drain (i.e. no electricity required), the Permeate Pump forces product water into the pressure tank, reducing membrane back pressure and maximizing available feed pressure.

These pumps dramatically improve the efficiency of Drinking wWater R.O. water production, reducing wastewater by up to 80%. In other words, if your current system requires 10 gallons of tap water to produce a gallon of pure water (10:1), adding a Permeate Pump should reduce this ratio below 3:1. ¼" hose connections.

• Requires no electricity, powered by energy from brine water
  • Improves recovery rates by as much as 400%
  • Can reduce waste water by as much as 80%
  • Enhances contaminant rejection
  • Ideal for membranes rated from 10-100 GPD
  • Effective for inlet water pressure as low as 30 psi
  • Increases membrane life, lowers “TDS creep”
  • Fills product tank up to 4 times more rapidly
  • NSF approved (Standard 58)
  • Two year manufacturer’s warranty

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my gate valve today. Jesus that thing is a monster.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
planning my sump build now. 40 gallon breeder is the unit of choice.

First section is where the main siphon and open channel drain in from above. Skimmer section. Probably 9" long, 9" high and 17/13/16" wide (front to back). Water will go over, under and over a bubble trap to..

Next section will be the return. This section will be about 12" long and 10" high. To the right of the return section is the refugium, fed by a branching off of the return, with a 12" high wall that water will go over into the return.

It's very simple, basic, and the refugium won't be set up for some time. I'm not even sure how I can attach PVC to this return, which I will take from 3/4" and expand it to 1". We'll see though.

Just test my phosphate levels of the curing rock.

Rock in my Brute was 0.03ppm per Hanna. The rock in the 20 gallon long was 1.07ppm.

Rock that is in the Brute is just dechlorinated tap water, treated with SeaKlear. The rock in the 20 gallon long was saltwater mix, no SeaKlear. Will do a test daily and see where it is going, but right now, i think I'm better off just worrying about the phosphate levels before I start trying to cycle the rock.

I'm not sure how getting the cycle going with saltwater helps remove phosphates truth be told.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested water yesterday.

Brute Bin was 0.03
20G Long was 1.07

Today, the Brute bin was 0.02 and the 20g Long was 0.00...(retesting that one).

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested water yesterday.

Brute Bin was 0.03
20G Long was 1.07

Today, the Brute bin was 0.02 and the 20g Long was 0.00...(retesting that one).

The retest came to 1.29 in phosphates. egads, very high. time to dose with LC for a few days.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing the LC directly into the water column?

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drop a capful directly into the bin. It turns a very milky white.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might already know this... So I apologize if that's the case.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but, LC (lithium chloride) combines with Mg (magnesium) to precipitate the PO4 out of the water column in a more solid form but this requires some sort of mechanical removal like via a filter sock or something similar. I have dripped dosed it in the past but always into a filter sock and at a rate and speed that allows it enough time to work and precipitate the PO4 out. that also required me to maintain your Mg levels for it to be effective in remove excess phosphate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what it's doing is falling harmlessly to the bottom of the container, almost like sand. I wouldn't dose this stuff in a display tank. In a brute container or a 20 gallon long...absolutely.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back