An Update on my 40Br Mixed Reef Tank (Pics!)

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank: Aqueon 40BR

Stand, Canopy, and Light Canopy: The stand is a nice entrance piece of furniture and the "half-canopy" and fixture cover was made by me. The actual Light Canopy was also made by me.

Controller: Apex Jr. (Without Display, I use my iPhone 5/Computers to monitor the tank) + Apex VDM for LED dimming + EB8 + PM1 (pH monitoring)

Light: RapidLED parts giving me 20 X Royal Blue, 14 X Cool Whites, and 2 X Moonlights (royal Blues on low voltage).

Sand: Marine Gravel (NEW!)

Rock: Reef on the Rocks

Water Movement: 2 X Vortech MP10 (Yellow mode at about 1/2 power, Yellow Mode at 1/8th power)) + AquaClear 110 with magnetized overflow + MJ900

Filtration: - Reef Octopus BH-90 Skimmer + 10% weekly water changes via I.O. Salt

Fish Feeder: Used when on Vacation, hand feed when I am home.

Fish Feeding: APBreed medium pellets daily (2nd feeding with Mysis shrimp every two days)

Coral Feeding: Every two days, at night I randomly use Coral Frenzy, two diff. sized Golden Pearls, or Reef Chilli.

ATO: BRS Doser (50mL/min) used in custom set up (7G tub that is hidden). (I use Kalkwasser)

Dosers: 2 X BRS 50mL/min for both Calcium and Alkalinity (Via Apex Controller)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes:

- Added back second Vortech, but at much lower power.

- Redone rock work in tank out of personal preference.

- Removed quite a bit of corals to allow others more growing room.

- Added Red/Green Acro and Blasto Welsi

- Switched to I.O. Salt. Red Sea Coral Pro angered me as I hadn't realized you could overly mix and aerate it. I got a bunch of "stuff" left in the bucket for the past two years, but ignored it as the tank was happy. I now find out it was precipitated out calcium, etc... thrown out money basically. I adjust to lower Calcium and Alkalinity via the dosers.

- Added two Dosers for two part (Calcium and Alkalinity). Much more accurate and consistent than I, and a lot less work.

- Added a "High Noon" program to the LEDs.

- Started using Prodibio about a month ago (I am about to dose for the third time). The reason? I wanted to use the bacteria regimen, but did not want to add more equipment to my already cramped tank, via Bio-Pellets. Prodibio is easy and costs me about $6/month. I only have to dose it every 15 days.. which is fine by me. I only use the BioDigest and Bioptim (Bacteria and Bacteria Food).

P1040137 (Custom).jpg

P1040145 (Custom).jpg

P1040148 (Custom).jpg

P1040149 (Custom).jpg

P1040150 (Custom).jpg

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow tank is gorgeous! Great job!

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40B are my favorite dimensions for tanks. You've done a great job with the real estate that you have.

Duffam3434

**TASTE THE RAINBOW**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful!! Very Clean! Looks like you left enough room for everything to grow too!!

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank rocks.! Lovin it. Who says you gotta go big?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Christian, I'm glad to see the blue Squamosa still in there!

I'm telling you what, it's been so good in the tank. My only issues is that I had to take it out every now and then and brush out the "funk" algae that it brought with it from Diver's Den. Aside from that, it's definitely a happy clam. :)

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful!! Very Clean! Looks like you left enough room for everything to grow too!!

Thank you! I feel like the tank is in a good spot to really be left alone and grow out. A pruning here and there and I'll finally feel like I got "there", in reefing.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Tastefully done
Tank: Aqueon 40BR

Stand, Canopy, and Light Canopy: The stand is a nice entrance piece of furniture and the "half-canopy" and fixture cover was made by me. The actual Light Canopy was also made by me.

Controller: Apex Jr. (Without Display, I use my iPhone 5/Computers to monitor the tank) + Apex VDM for LED dimming + EB8 + PM1 (pH monitoring)

Light: RapidLED parts giving me 20 X Royal Blue, 14 X Cool Whites, and 2 X Moonlights (royal Blues on low voltage).

Sand: Marine Gravel (NEW!)

Rock: Reef on the Rocks

Water Movement: 2 X Vortech MP10 (Yellow mode at about 1/2 power, Yellow Mode at 1/8th power)) + AquaClear 110 with magnetized overflow + MJ900

Filtration: - Reef Octopus BH-90 Skimmer + 10% weekly water changes via I.O. Salt

Fish Feeder: Used when on Vacation, hand feed when I am home.

Fish Feeding: APBreed medium pellets daily (2nd feeding with Mysis shrimp every two days)

Coral Feeding: Every two days, at night I randomly use Coral Frenzy, two diff. sized Golden Pearls, or Reef Chilli.

ATO: BRS Doser (50mL/min) used in custom set up (7G tub that is hidden). (I use Kalkwasser)

Dosers: 2 X BRS 50mL/min for both Calcium and Alkalinity (Via Apex Controller)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes:

- Added back second Vortech, but at much lower power.

- Redone rock work in tank out of personal preference.

- Removed quite a bit of corals to allow others more growing room.

- Added Red/Green Acro and Blasto Welsi

- Switched to I.O. Salt. Red Sea Coral Pro angered me as I hadn't realized you could overly mix and aerate it. I got a bunch of "stuff" left in the bucket for the past two years, but ignored it as the tank was happy. I now find out it was precipitated out calcium, etc... thrown out money basically. I adjust to lower Calcium and Alkalinity via the dosers.

- Added two Dosers for two part (Calcium and Alkalinity). Much more accurate and consistent than I, and a lot less work.

- Added a "High Noon" program to the LEDs.

- Started using Prodibio about a month ago (I am about to dose for the third time). The reason? I wanted to use the bacteria regimen, but did not want to add more equipment to my already cramped tank, via Bio-Pellets. Prodibio is easy and costs me about $6/month. I only have to dose it every 15 days.. which is fine by me. I only use the BioDigest and Bioptim (Bacteria and Bacteria Food).

P1040137 (Custom).jpg
P1040145 (Custom).jpg
P1040148 (Custom).jpg
P1040149 (Custom).jpg
P1040150 (Custom).jpg

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks vette, I was worried it would be a bit overwhelming for people to look at. I would hate to scare people away from the photos! :smash:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back