Raising Alkalinity

jbonez_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone give me advice what I should do? My Alkalinity keeps dropping every week, I want to put some softy corals in my tank eventually but I cannot get my Alkalinity to stabilize at all and I can't bring my pH up to 8.3 like I'd like, I have a 20g tank with two clowns and YWG.

I've also been trying to raise my Nitrates with aggressively feeding but it continues to remain at zero. I'm kinda at a loss on what my next step should be. I am using instant ocean reef crystals.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone give me advice what I should do? My Alkalinity keeps dropping every week, I want to put some softy corals in my tank eventually but I cannot get my Alkalinity to stabilize at all and I can't bring my pH up to 8.3 like I'd like, I have a 20g tank with two clowns and YWG.

I've also been trying to raise my Nitrates with aggressively feeding but it continues to remain at zero. I'm kinda at a loss on what my next step should be. I am using instant ocean reef crystals.
How old is the tank? Have any white light pics so we can see what's going on?

Alk you can dose kalk, soda ash, or just baking soda to achieve a higher number.

I wouldn't chase Ph unless you have heavy sps. I haven't even tested it in years.

First question will help with nitrate issue. Also, do you have any current export methods? How frequently are you changing the water? What's your current phosphate reading?

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many methods for raising alk. Each has its own merits, pros and cons. I'd suggest you can start with 2 part dosing which is probably the easiest to dial in. Although with 20g maybe the easiest is just water changes.
What test are you using? Seems strange to me you would have low alk with reef crystals.
As far as pH, what is your current? my personal advice would be to not even look at that number.

OP
OP
jbonez_

jbonez_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? Have any white light pics so we can see what's going on?

Alk you can dose kalk, soda ash, or just baking soda to achieve a higher number.

I wouldn't chase Ph unless you have heavy sps. I haven't even tested it in years.

First question will help with nitrate issue. Also, do you have any current export methods? How frequently are you changing the water? What's your current phosphate reading?
Tank is 4 months old, I usually do weekly water changes, been thinking about doing bi weekly.

Sorry I forgot to attach my chart of my levels, also attached a video of my tank of what it's currently looking like.

Screenshot_20240310_113620_Excel.png

Attachments

• 20240310_114948.mp4
    111 MB

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 4 months old, I usually do weekly water changes, been thinking about doing bi weekly.

Sorry I forgot to attach my chart of my levels, also attached a video of my tank of what it's currently looking like.

Screenshot_20240310_113620_Excel.png

Nitrate and phosphate bottoming isn't good. I would definitely hold off on water changes until you get the levels up. Directly dosing nitrate and phosphate might be the best course of action for the moment.

OP
OP
jbonez_

jbonez_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate and phosphate bottoming isn't good. I would definitely hold off on water changes until you get the levels up. Directly dosing nitrate and phosphate might be the best course of action for the moment.
So I should just monitor my levels and don't do any water changes till they start to rise, unless I have an ammonia spike I'm assuming?

What would be the best way to dose those two?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I should just monitor my levels and don't do any water changes till they start to rise, unless I have an ammonia spike I'm assuming?

What would be the best way to dose those two?
Both are sold individually and dose according to labels

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back