If not BTA than what?

  • Thread starter Thread starter martin.a
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

martin.a

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 28, 2026
Messages
178
Reaction score
167
Location
Canberra
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not sleep, I can barely eat... I want an anemone. 😅

Here is my problem: I want a pair of pink skunk clowns living with anemone. I am in Australia, meaning I can get BTA, H. magnifica, S. gigantea and H. malu. That's basically it.

Magnifica and gigantea are natural hosts for those skunks, the other 2 are not. But there seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence that they will host BTA or malu, if no natural host is available. I need the fish-anemone mutualism, so sadly, no anemone is no answer here.

I am worried that I do not have the space required for magnifica or gigantea. With gigantea I am also worried it will eat my fish. Plus both are as difficult to keep as it gets. I was set to just get a nice BTA and hope for the best. But there are so many complains about BTA going berserk and taking over the tank. So maybe getting a BTA is like inviting a vampire for tea?

Here is the tank:
20260819_174826.jpg

It's 5 feet long (CADE 1500), and as you can see I actually may have the space for magnifica on the top flats of the rock on the right side. (Those purple rocks are there only temporarily). Malu could fit as well, gigantea... not so. But I am worried that there simply is not enough space for magnifica there, given I am planning to have fish and corals in that tank as well.

What would you do? Get a BTA and brace for strict parental control? Or get a magnifica and hope it stays small-ish? There also is a tiny cost difference. BTA is approx. $150 AUD, magnifica starts at $700 AUD.

EDIT: I know that I can not put any demanding anemone in this tank for at least half a year.
 
Sounds like you have definitely done your homework.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 18 21.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 25 29.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new