Anemones and Butterflies?

SabrinaC

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 22, 2022
Messages
294
Reaction score
218
Location
San Antonio
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Will filefish or orange butterfly fish (Chaetodon kleinii) eat a BTA, LTA, RFA, or tube nem? Since those fish are known to eat aiptasia, which is an anemone, I wasn’t sure if they would eat other nems as well.

I lost almost all my coral in my 200g to an aiptasia plague.

Berghia and file fish didn’t work due to the rate of reproduction of those demon aiptasia. I honestly never even saw either of the 2 filefish I purchased touch the aiptasia. A Chaetodon kleinii is the only thing that saved my tank.

I now have 2 filefish, a Chaetodon kleinii, and then several other reef safe fish in the 200g, but no coral unfortunately. I moved what I had left into my smaller tanks.

I know corals are a no go because of those fish, but that’s the trade off for not having aiptasia. I want to keep my butterfly since it was a proven aiptasia eating workhorse. I was hoping anemones might be a possibility, but if not, it is what it is. It would definitely make my clowns happy like the clowns in my 50g with their nems.
 
My 75G display has tube anemone, flame scallops with a wall of green star polyps & silver Xenia along with much diver collected live rock. Butterfly fish & diver collected live rock are the best things that I have done in this 35 year mature tank.

The butterfly’s eliminated Aptasia. While I don’t see them grazing on the soft coral polyps, there is much live food on the rocks and the biofilms on surfaces of ornamental seaweeds. Flame scallops, feather dusters and rock/flower anemone are happy.. When I blast live rock surfaces & stir seaweeds the butterfly fish exhibit feeding behavior. I see them foraging in substrate for spaghetti worms & stuff.

In most cases, if fish are hungry, they will adopt different feeding behavior. I feed heavy and let the janitors clean up the leftovers.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new