Basic Reef Chemistry Chart: Know your levels

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
54,861
Reaction score
122,510
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Parameterschart_zpsf9375070.jpg

chart image via reefaquarium.com
 
Great Chart my friend. Im about to print this out. I have a question for you thou. I set up a new tank 2 weeks ago. I used LS and has LR in there. When I tested the water it showed Ammonia. It has gone down to nothing. This is throwing me off thou. I tested Nitrites and it hasn't shown any of this period. Nitrates tested at 5 one day and hasn't shown anything on the test since that one day. I'm never had Nitrites and Nitrates not show before. Is my cycle over or is this common when using LS with good bacteria in it? I'm kinda confused and don't know weather to proceed or wait a few more weeks.
 
Hi
Don't know if its just a typo but the max level of phosphates seems to be a bit high. It might lull a newbie into thinking that 0.5 was high but still acceptable. If it was at 0.5 they would probably be having algae issues and may disregard their level of 0.5 as being the issue causing it. Personally I think 0.05 is a maximum level, but as you say in your notes undetectable is best. :smile:
 
I'm going to send this to my friend. I get weekly texts from him asking about his parameters. Going to make my life alot easier.
Thanks
 
Probably ok

Great Chart my friend. Im about to print this out. I have a question for you thou. I set up a new tank 2 weeks ago. I used LS and has LR in there. When I tested the water it showed Ammonia. It has gone down to nothing. This is throwing me off thou. I tested Nitrites and it hasn't shown any of this period. Nitrates tested at 5 one day and hasn't shown anything on the test since that one day. I'm never had Nitrites and Nitrates not show before. Is my cycle over or is this common when using LS with good bacteria in it? I'm kinda confused and don't know weather to proceed or wait a few more weeks.

I know someone who did exactly the same as you and his test results were exactly the same. He added fish and everything was fine. I guess you and he just got lucky with having the right amount of bacteria contained within the live rock and sand. Just take it easy when starting to add fish though and keep testing.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new