Sick Wrasse

hitmanhoos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Solarensis Wrasse from my LFS a little over a week ago. Everything was fine for a week. He ate like a pig, very active, no aggression from tank mates.

When the light came on a couple days ago it was clear something was wrong. He was swimming weird. He would stand straight up and then slowly fall backwards. Swim sideways, and sometimes upside down. It's like he's lost all equilibrium. I caught him easily and put him in a hospital tank, but I don't have a clue how to treat him.

I did a google search and nearly all results talked about a swim bladder problem but they were talking about fresh water fish.

If anyone has any expertise in this area I'd love to hear it. I hate watching him swim like that.

Thanks

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give him a Erythromycin treatment as it's likely a bacterial infection rather than swimming bladder. Swimming bladder issues are generally found in deep water fish. I just treated a Girdled Fairy wrasse with it and it worked perfectly. Only pain is that you have to do a 25% water change everyday for 10 days while dosing the medicine everyday after the water change.

You can buy Erythromycin from nationalfishpahrm.com. I've purchased from them many times. You'll find it packaged under EM-Pro

OP
OP
H

hitmanhoos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. My LFS has Erythromycin so I'll get started right away.

Thank you!

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, good luck with it. I was very happy with the turn around on my Girdled.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 27.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 80 46.8%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 11.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back