Anyone ever switch out their sand?

allabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having issues with algae, had dino and green hair algae so I'm considering switching my sand. Its probably 8 years old and I moved it from an old 55 gallon tank to my 90 gallon tank (shoulda just got all new!). So has anyone ever switched sand? Is it worth the trouble - does it stop the algae? Can I just pull out the old and put in the new or do I need to wait? Also should I leave some of the old there to "seed" the new sand and what about sand in the refugium? Thanks!

Last edited:

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big question is how deep is the sandbed and how long has it been in the current tank?

Is this a reef or fish only tank?

If it is a shallow sandbed or very newly installed deep sand bed, you can just remove it little by little by scooping it out of the tank over time. It may release some organics into the water which will cause algae, but this is better than a ton released at once and causing a cycle. FO tanks can handle a little more nutrients than reef tanks but this should still be kept to a minimum.

If this is a deep sandbed that is established and in the tank for awhile more care needs to be taken. I helpped a local reefer do this removal not too long ago. In the established DSP you can get buildups of toxic chemicals. If they are released into the water they can kill stuff fast. Drain as much water out of the tank as you can without disturbing the sandbed. Vacuum out the old sand with a wet dry vac and toss it out. Then go ahead and put the water and new sand (rinsed of course) into the tank. This will take time but will protect your tank life by preventing their exposure to the bad chemicals and will prevent a cycle from ever happening.

OP
OP
allabout

allabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a reef tank, mostly frags and small colonies right now. Some zoas, mushrooms, a candy cane coral, frogspawn, hammer, brain and kenya tree.

I don't think it would be called a deep sand bed. It varies up and down. I would say the average depth is about 2" with some areas closer to 1" and others 2.5" or so. It has been in the current tank for about 7 months. When I moved it it was pretty nasty, I should have dumped it, but didn't research it and thought to myself that an old, established sand bed was better.

I was wondering if I could just siphon some of it out every time I do a water change, which is weekly at this point?

It has tons of pods and small worms (spaghetti worms I think) and stuff like that. Should I leave some of the old sand, or just remove it all figuring that some pods and worms will survive in the rocks to seed the new sand?

Last edited:

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siphon out slowly will work fine. up to 25% per change and you shouldn't notice a difference. Don't add new untill all of the old is out.

Enough pods and worms will survive in the rocks to populate the sand again.

Make sure to rinse the new stuff well before adding it to the tank.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siphon out slowly will work fine. up to 25% per change and you shouldn't notice a difference. Don't add new untill all of the old is out.

Enough pods and worms will survive in the rocks to populate the sand again.

Make sure to rinse the new stuff well before adding it to the tank.

I agree, that sounds like a decent plan.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 76 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back