View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefspotlight2_zps6b1ca002.jpg

REEF SPOTLIGHT - January 2013
The Reef Aquarium of:
Shaun Monahan A.K.A. "Shauno"

swannyson7-albums-shauno-spotlight-picture46601-bfkeahphheeziq2qfhcpifxos52s1s5ba4ibpkcjqpy.jpg

Introduction

My name is Shaun Monahan and was born and raised in Tucson AZ. As a kid, my mother would take my family down to camp at the beach on the Sea Of Cortez, Mexico. I have an older brother, John and the two of us would snorkel and search the tide pools to catch our own fish and inverts. We had a 60gal saltwater tank and it was stocked with Cortez animals. This was the start of the “reef obsessionâ€

I moved to Portland Oregon in 1996. In ‘96 I worked for Upscales in Tualtin, OR. In ‘97 I opened my own reef shop “Wavesâ€. Then, in 2002 I lunched â€Ecorals†the online side of Waves. My website was comprised completely of WYSIWYG corals/inverts/fish and LR. My store also provided maintenance, setups and tank moves.

A bit of history: In late 1997, I was regularly importing sps corals from the Pacific, focusing on Bali, as this is where most of the “new†corals were coming from. I had a brown piece of coral that I saved in housed in the 150 display that developed into the most blue coral I had ever seen - The Oregon Tort.

I was fortunate and was able to do many reef tanks of former Portland Trailblazer basketball players and many other local Portland celebrities. I gave a shot to a kid that wanted to work for me who showed great interest and initiative, Phil Scheller. Phil is now a Senior Aquarist at the Long Beach Aquarium and has done amazing display’s exhibits, including the very beautiful and popular non-photosynthetic coral display!(Link here: Reef Addicts - Spotlight on Non-Photosynthetic Coral Tank at The Aquarium of the Pacific. Long Beach, CA ) Go Phil!!!

I sold my store in 2005 to pursue other interests and to have time for my growing family.

In 2010 started a small reef tank to enjoy this hobby once again. Soon after, I took a job with Sunlight Supply as their West Coast Sales Manager and was able to visit stores all over the West Coast.

I now work for Golden Basket (Ebay) /Java West wholesale. My job is to propagate SPS corals, manage system water quality and develop new husbandry techniques. I also work for the new Portland Aquarium (PortlandAquarium.net) and my role there is to do whatever is necessary to finish their displays and facilitate the opening this new Aquarium expected this December 2012.

swannyson7-albums-shauno-spotlight-picture46610-w7oaqj0-v6nsrjroluge09qvlom8d5n-02dc-ebqut4.jpg

System Profile

Display tank: 34g Solano (18"x18"x18").
Glass or Acrylic: Glass.
Stand: Custom, 40" tall maple stand, stained in dark expresso.
Sump: Standard 10g AGA tank. I have customized this Solano by drilling it to utilize the back system as an overflow and added a sump to increase the overall system volume.
Protein Skimmer: Deltec MCE600 HOB.
Carbon/phosphate filtration: I run 1c of carbon passively, in a nylon bag in my sump. No GFO used...
Return Pump: Marineland 600gph submersible.
Water circulation: Hydor Koralia 6 and a Koralia Nano on an Ocean Pulse timer.
Lighting: AquaIlluminations Sol Blue.
Calcium/alkalinity/magnesium dosing: AquaMaxx Nano calcium reactor with CarribSea ARM (course grade).
Auto top-off: Manual top off.
RO/DI: Hydro-Logic Evolution 1000GPD. No need for water storage as I make RO on demand!
Heating: 250w Ebo Jager heater.
Cooling: None.
System control: None.

swannyson7-albums-shauno-spotlight-picture46600-ar-hp-rqce6fcr9rghshm26sv9yveo6mhwclozzuf5k.jpg

Water Parameters
*Salinity: 1.026 via Milwaukee refractometer.
*Ammonia: 0 via Salifert.
*Nitrate: 0 via Salifert.
*Nitrite: 0 via Salifert.
*Phosphate: 0.01-0.02 via Salifert.
*Calcium: 420-430 via Salifert.
*Alkilinity: 10-11 dKH via Salifert.
*Magnesium: 1400 via Salifert.

swannyson7-albums-shauno-spotlight-picture46608-l0mhnqrr05pwt8-fdolss3yhq8ugmnextl4v-nuadfw.jpg

Lighting Summary & Objectives

Originally, I used a DE 150w 20K, then changed to a 250w 20K Radium, and finally switched to an AI Sol Blue. I have had this LED on since February and love it. I run it at 100% on all 3 channels (white/blue/royal blue) and the color looks 14-16K. The photo period begins at 8am with a 50mins ramp-up to 100%, and then begins to ramp-down at 10pm for 50mins. I use the lunar feature and have 3% royal blue and 1% white - this is great for night viewing.

Lighting Photoperiod

8:00 AM: Sol Lunar Feature OFF
8:00 AM: AI Sol BlueRAMP UP
8:50 AM: AI Sol Blue ON 100%
10:00 PM: AI Sol Blue RAMP DOWN
10:50 PM: AI Sol Blue OFF
10:50 PM: Sol Lunar Feature ON

swannyson7-albums-shauno-spotlight-picture46609-s1ptdnidt2ueotow0etallzwrl6jcmhrd82nqzruoc4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filtration and Water Quality Summary and Objectives

I still believe in the Berlin method for reef filtration: live rock, protein skimmer being the basis. My skimmer is a Deltec MCE600 HOB which sits external on my (10g) sump. I rarely conduct water changes; perhaps 5-10g every 6 months, but successfully maintain suitable parameters through this method.

Tank Inhabitants—Fish
Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens)
(3) Springeri Damsels (Chrysiptera springeri)
Purple Firefish (Nemateleotris decora)
(2) Oscellaris clowns (Amphiprion ocellaris)

swannyson7-albums-shauno-spotlight-picture46603-cd7rivqnmzdorckifukuhfjkanmrqvumzb6frmga0jw.jpg

swannyson7-albums-shauno-spotlight-picture46604-gayfnetcalioatu4dsckbcbaclbh2xlgco5nfbm0vuy.jpg

Tank Inhabitants—Other Invertibrates
I currently house 16 clams, including maxima’s, crocea’s and one squamosa... a nice blue squamosa! I love clams, yes. Clams for me are so fascinating due to their patterns, colors and uniqueness; no two are the same. These gems also help water quality by removing PO4 and NO3. I enjoy the movement and behavior of clams when this fish move around them. Got to have more clams!

swannyson7-albums-shauno-spotlight-picture46605-gu-uo5ak810dlruny8hgv7ndvyi6rhocemaa7lu6wmm.jpg

swannyson7-albums-shauno-spotlight-picture46599-am6j3gd74-s5-c2nh6a118gleasa0hcwasniwxjoyyi.jpg

swannyson7-albums-shauno-spotlight-picture46598-030jttoom49hqt0er-bkcpxu4gt2qnx6dmuv-xnr6qc.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Inhabitants—Corals
I have over 70 different SPS corals in this tank including:
Acropora cophodactyla (plating acro)
Acropora elseyi (staghorn)
Acropora rambleri (deep water table)
Acropora multiacuta
Acropora exquisita (deep blue stag w/ thorny coralites)
Acropora batunai (deep water table)
Acropora latistella (blue tipped cream body)
Acropora "Miami orchid" (Light blue stag w/ thorny coralites)
Acropora "Pink Lemonade"
Acropora "Limeade"
Acropora "Stawberry Shortcake"
Acropora "Reverse Strawberry Shortcake"
Acropora "Cali tort"
Acropora "Oregon tort"
Acropora walandii
Acropora subglabra
Acropora echinata
Acropora carduus
acropora caroliniana
Acropora efflorescens
Acropora fenneri
(teal brush)
Acropora jacquelineae
Acropora millepora
Acropora nana
Acropora solitaryensis
Acropora suharsonoi
Acropora vermiculata
(neon green looks like tenuis)
Acropora tenuis
Acropora turaki

Montipora "Mystic Sunset"
Montipora "Poker Star"
Montipora "Sunset"
Montipora "Forest Fire Digitata"
Montipora "superman"
Montipora "German Blue Polyp"
Montipora peltiformis
Seriatopora hystrix
Stylophora pistillata

swannyson7-albums-shauno-spotlight-picture46607-jfokfotckorespvxhiogaqexr9czniyib1b4f6k4xn4.jpg

swannyson7-albums-shauno-spotlight-picture46602-bsjuxd4aarm7jptjxaalhyycwsxgnx85vd9o7ktra48.jpg

swannyson7-albums-shauno-spotlight-picture46602-bsjuxd4aarm7jptjxaalhyycwsxgnx85vd9o7ktra48.jpg

swannyson7-albums-shauno-spotlight-picture46597-5uuvkdtwxdrbvdqxoskmevnmmy2l-kbb86x1cuoskmy.jpg

swannyson7-albums-shauno-spotlight-picture46596-4fa8bqxouwwz8owt8vi3gwjlm2anvibcxroarpfawas.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish and Coral Feeding

I use a mixture of frozen foods, mainly hikari mysis and brine shrimp and feed one cube per day. I also supplement with Ocean Nutrition flake 2-3x/week.

Conclusion
I do not belong to any reef clubs but I do frequent a local club, Pacific Northwest Marine Aquarium Society (PNWMAS Home Page) where I help out when I can. Other than the PNWMAS forum, I frequent Reef2Reef. I have made some great friends and enjoy reading about the latest and greatest reef gear, SPS corals and of course, clams!

I read a ton of reef related books/publications and my personal library is quite large. Early in my career, I had the chance to meet most of the authors. If asked what my favorite book is, I would have to say "The Reef Aquarium Vol 1" because it has transformed my understanding of what could be accomplished in a reef tank. Thanks Charles and Julian!

I'd like to thank my daughters; Lauren, Morghn and Kiera for their constant support, questions and curiosity! I'd also like to thank Reef2Reef for the honor of being selected as a featured tank as there are so many beautiful reefs here.

swannyson7-albums-shauno-spotlight-picture46606-gzik-nh4zduqsmkqbz9ne1ops2ovgqiupp4e8ju7xsu.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats Shaun, you have a beautiful tank! 1smile1

Scoly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank! Congrats on being picked for theses honors! Glad to see you got back into the hobby!

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love seeing a super small tank packed with SPS! Congratz on the spotlight Shauno!

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is amazing. Its not overstocked with crazy priced equipment either which makes me feel like one day I'll be able to afford something like this. Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Do you dose Mg at all?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful tank and great growth!!

nova65ss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Solana! Woud love to hear how much and what you are dosing with all the clams and acros? Thanks!

Shauno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank! Congrats on being picked for theses honors! Glad to see you got back into the hobby!
Thank you Scoly!

I've been waiting for this one, Congrats Shaun!
Thanks Chris!

This is amazing. Its not overstocked with crazy priced equipment either which makes me feel like one day I'll be able to afford something like this. Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Thank you and you are welcome! Find what works for you and stick with it.

Do you dose Mg at all?[/QUOTE]
I do but it's pretty stable and I don't have to add it often -maybe once every 3 months.

Congrats. Very awesome tank. :)
Thank you!

Shauno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank and great growth!!
Thanks Rev -honored to be a part of the Spotlight!

Alright Shaun, I need some more pic's of the clams! :wink: Is the blue Squamosa in there?
It is but not at the time of these pics. I had moved it back to the 125 while cleaning - pic needed but light off already...

do you have a vid of the tank by any chance? :wink:
I do not but that sounds like a great idea! Just need a camera.

Congrats, I absolutely love it.
Thanks Rob!

Awesome Solana! Woud love to hear how much and what you are dosing with all the clams and acros? Thanks!
I do not dose. I use a calcium reactor and add iodine once/week and that is all. Thanks for the compliments

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.7%
Back