Praziquantel water soluble?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm basically wanting to switch over from liquid Prazipro to a powder form of praziquantel. Like this: Praziquantel

The reason is I'm try to avoid the oxybispropanol found in Prazipro, which has caused bacterial blooms in my QT in the past - especially when mixed with other medications. I know powder praziquantel is "not easily water soluble", which is why it is suggested to mix it with a small amount of ethyl alcohol or even vodka.

But does that mean it flat out won't dissolve in water or it just takes a while to do so?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the answer I was looking for, but thank you Randy. :wink: Seems there's no getting around mixing alcohol with praziquantel. :sad:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, can you explain why Oxybispropanol cause bacterial blooms?

If it does, it’s presumably just because it is an organic carbon source/food, just like ethanol in vodka. [emoji3]

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the praziquantel in API general cure soluble in water? The packaging states to directly add into aquarium water.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get GC to dissolve. I switched to prazi powder after flukes got through with GC. The straight powder is a pain. Vodka is fairly ineffective, and it takes a lot of DMSO to dissolve it.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get GC to dissolve. I switched to prazi powder after flukes got through with GC. The straight powder is a pain. Vodka is fairly ineffective, and it takes a lot of DMSO to dissolve it.
Do you use DMSO to dissolve the prazi powder?

If the prazi in GC can dissolve, why wouldn’t straight prazi dissolve too?

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to use DMSO with the powder. It didn't seem like it would ever dissolve in salt water. But it takes a lot and killed my pH.

No idea why GC seems to dissolve much easier. I was treating all fish with it when going through quarantine. Would just add it with a little stir and it would dissolve. I'v wondered the same. Why is the powder so hard to dissolve, but GC doesn't seem to have that problem.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back