Zebra moray's food being snatched by a grouper

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my eel out of the quarantine with
2 doses of praziquantel powder and one dose of metronidazole, he ate about a small piece of shrimp in there (only once in the 2 weeks of treatment), I added him into the display tank (150 gallon's) he took a decent sized shrimp but then my grouper snatched it from his mouth and it's been about i think 2 days of him not eating because of that, currently, i thought of just waiting another 3 days to feed him, I am tempted to remove the grouper but i also currently don't have space for him besides a 210 gallon tank which as a tessalata and adding this grouper into it would be a death row for him, so, what do you guys think?

Currently, i would say the eel is healthy, he comes out often and swims around the tank with my other fangtooth moray which is a little bigger and they seem to be buddies from the first day I added them, the grouper is about 6 inch yet, quite aggressive but seems to leave my eels alone and is really aggressive towards food

Last edited:

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't hand feed your eels with tongs?
I used to hand feed them, because they have horrible eye sight, and would swim all over the place for the food, sometimes not being able to find it.

Can't you feed the grouper first? and then Hand feed the eel?
Or keep hand feeding it, until the grouper stops stealing?

But i have had almost 0 problems hand feeding eels when i had them.
Although i only kept snowflakes, and it was just twice.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this happen with triggers. If the eel has a good hole it will retreat in there to eat but even then they often stole food. I eventually rehomed the triggers.

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hand feed it with some really long tweezers, I have to do this with my marine betta because it’s too slow to get the food.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I can see the eel wants to eat I will feed the rest of the tank heavy first. Once the other inhabitants are fed they have less interest when I go to feed the eel.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my eel out of the quarantine with
2 doses of praziquantel powder and one dose of metronidazole, he ate about a small piece of shrimp in there (only once in the 2 weeks of treatment), I added him into the display tank (150 gallon's) he took a decent sized shrimp but then my grouper snatched it from his mouth and it's been about i think 2 days of him not eating because of that, currently, i thought of just waiting another 3 days to feed him, I am tempted to remove the grouper but i also currently don't have space for him besides a 210 gallon tank which as a tessalata and adding this grouper into it would be a death row for him, so, what do you guys think?

Currently, i would say the eel is healthy, he comes out often and swims around the tank with my other fangtooth moray which is a little bigger and they seem to be buddies from the first day I added them, the grouper is about 6 inch yet, quite aggressive but seems to leave my eels alone and is really aggressive towards food
My triggerfish try to take my eels food all the time. Ill usually hand feed them a shrimp on eel feeding day at the other side of the tank and let them squabble over that and if they get close to the eels I shoo them away. I hand feed my eels, they will take their food back to their hole very fast. It usually isnt an issue

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for the help, I fed the grouper first (a whole literal shrimp) i did not think he was big enough to eat a whole shrimp Lol, it's hard to imagine how much I have to feed him once hes full grown, got my 2 eels eating a half piece of shrimp (zebra included) are there any specific foods I have to feed my zebra? The only invertebrate I have is shrimps since I have only ever kept fangtooths besides shrimp I have mackerel, clam flesh, tilapia still yet to get squid since it isn't the season right now

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for the help, I fed the grouper first (a whole literal shrimp) i did not think he was big enough to eat a whole shrimp Lol, it's hard to imagine how much I have to feed him once hes full grown, got my 2 eels eating a half piece of shrimp (zebra included) are there any specific foods I have to feed my zebra? The only invertebrate I have is shrimps since I have only ever kept fangtooths besides shrimp I have mackerel, clam flesh, tilapia still yet to get squid since it isn't the season right now
My snowflake (shes a pebbletooth) likes silversides, salmon, squid and other meaty foods. Shrimp is her favorite though! They both love clam on the half shell too

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My snowflake (shes a pebbletooth) likes silversides, salmon, squid and other meaty foods. Shrimp is her favorite though! They both love clam on the half shell too
That's nice, i now understand what you meant when you said that its like your fangtooth eel protects your snowflake it's lovely to see my 2 eels together in one cave just goofing around, I also fed the zebra one whole shrimp, I noticed that unlike fangtooths, pebble tooths crush their food whilest fangtooth just swallow them, that was interesting!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's nice, i now understand what you meant when you said that its like your fangtooth eel protects your snowflake it's lovely to see my 2 eels together in one cave just goofing around, I also fed the zebra one whole shrimp, I noticed that unlike fangtooths, pebble tooths crush their food whilest fangtooth just swallow them, that was interesting!
Yes it is! Once you figure out which eel is more dominant for lack of a better term feed that eel first. If I feed Ghost first Ivar immediately chases her for food and theres an issue. But if I feed Ivar first he disappears with his food and then Ghost gets to enjoy hers without him trying to take it!

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is! Once you figure out which eel is more dominant for lack of a better term feed that eel first. If I feed Ghost first Ivar immediately chases her for food and theres an issue. But if I feed Ivar first he disappears with his food and then Ghost gets to enjoy hers without him trying to take it!
Yes! When I put the food in the tank my fangtooth came out first and since he wasn't interested in shrimp he left it alone for my zebra to eat haha

seawee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try to give it squid? and use some tweezers to feed it and if your tank has any crevices that it likes to go in try to leave the food outside of the crevice this should work if it is not too big of a hole and try getting it in enough so the grouper does not try to take it

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try to give it squid? and use some tweezers to feed it and if your tank has any crevices that it likes to go in try to leave the food outside of the crevice this should work if it is not too big of a hole and try getting it in enough so the grouper does not try to take it
Though i fed my grouper enough he still went for my fangtooths whole mackerel haha, i do shoo it away now and it seems to work at times

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back