Interesting eel and grouper behavior

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever my eel seems to be really hungry he goes to my grouper with a open mouth and my grouper does a pressed face and tail whips him (like literally, tail whips my eel) is this normal? Lol

Or should I be worried about early signs of aggression which I hope doesn't get worse in the future as they grow

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eels can chew and groupers are known to die from swollowing things to big to digest.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever my eel seems to be really hungry he goes to my grouper with a open mouth and my grouper does a pressed face and tail whips him (like literally, tail whips my eel) is this normal? Lol

Or should I be worried about early signs of aggression which I hope doesn't get worse in the future as they grow
Agree with keeping them fed, also eels and groupers have an interesting relationship in the ocean as well

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eels can chew and groupers are known to die from swollowing things to big to digest.
Literally, my grouper eat's so godamn much like an endless pit of a black hole, he even tried to take my eel's whole mackerel Lol

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Make sure you have a tank over 100 gal. because they will grow. I use to have a panther grouper and a moray eel, and they where the best of friends, I am thinking about starting up a fish only tank with that combo, and some fast Yellowtail Blue Damsels, for they will never catch em.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you have a tank over 100 gal. because they will grow. I use to have a panther grouper and a moray eel, and they where the best of friends, I am thinking about starting up a fish only tank with that combo, and some fast Yellowtail Blue Damsels, for they will never catch em.
The grouper i have is a greasy grouper,
My tank is 150 gallon's,sure, you can keep yellow tail damsel's with them but, they will be stressed out with the constant chasing from the grouper and will in turn make them highly vulnerable for disease, if you still want to house them together make sure you give them many hiding spots

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The grouper i have is a greasy grouper,
My tank is 150 gallon's,sure, you can keep yellow tail damsel's with them but, they will be stressed out with the constant chasing from the grouper and will in turn make them highly vulnerable for disease, if you still want to house them together make sure you give them many hiding spots
I had yellow tail damsels in my tank for years with them, and never did the yellow tails get stresses out, if any stress it was on the Panther for not catching them, be leave me the yellow tails will never get stressed, and absolutely never any disease, just stronger, for they are a little tough fish, i had a nice school.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had yellow tail damsels in my tank for years with them, and never did the yellow tails get stresses out, if any stress it was on the Panther for not catching them, be leave me the yellow tails will never get stressed, and absolutely never any disease, just stronger, for they are a little tough fish, i had a nice school.
dang, i didn't quarantine my first batch of yellow tail's never caught a disease, truly a hardy fish, i have about 4 of them in my 210g with my tessalata eel

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back