Is this variant of Praziquantel fish safe in a QT tank?

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where I live Praziquantel is only available by prescription only. Not as a fish medication - only as a medication for cats, dogs or horses.
My vet has found a horse medication which may be suitable for a fish quarantine tank. The things I do to quarantine fish...

Nonetheless, this medication also contains some bulking agents, and other stuff. I am just wondering if these are going to be fish-safe:

1 ml of this liquid contains

• Praziquantel 25 mg
  • Sorbitan monooleate - emulsifier, thickener, stabilizer, and surfactant for food and pharmaceuticals. Amber coloured oily liquid
  • Polysorbate 80 - nonionic surfactant and emulsifier for food and pharmaceuticals. Viscous, water-soluble yellow liquid.
  • Sodium propionate 2 mg - food preservative
  • Sodium benzoate 2 mg - food preservative
  • Bentonite - Absorbent swelling clay consisting mostly of montmorillonite (a type of smectite). Tons of uses.
  • Anhydrous citric acid - can't see why this wouldn't be fish-safe or even reef safe
  • Xanthan gum - polysaccharide food additive. Thickening agent, emulsifier, and stabilizer.
  • Propylene glycol - viscous, colorless liquid. Many pharmaceutical drugs which are insoluble in water utilize propylene glycol as a solvent and carrier.
So I'd be dosing about 10 ml @ 2.5mg/L in my 100L/25G quarantine tank.

Thanks a lot to any chemistry and food expert that may chime in on this weird question!

@Randy Holmes-Farley, I humbly ask your insight on this!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are not going to impact anything other than your protein skimmer, imo. Stuff made to inject in living animals will be soluble, and the amonts are so small negligible for reefing purposes.

If it won't kill a cat, it will not kill a reef.
If it would kill a cat I might be interested. ;)

Still, I agree with you, let's wait for folks who may have real time experince injecting this stuff into their systems. :cool:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back