zoa/paly/nem bleaching..help?

bboyvital

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright so here we go. I have tried to deal with this myself but am getting frustrated so hopefully someone has experienced the same thing and may have some suggestions that can help get this resolved. I will be the first to say I don't test as much as I should and that's probably why I have this problem now.

ph 8
ammonia/nitrite/trate 0
po4 .08
alk 7ish (I don't have a test kit. I went to a buddies and had him test it.

about a week ago my zoas/palys started bleaching from the skirts in. As of now centers still have the color. My nem has lost a lot of color also. Corals aren't dying but still frustrating. the sps/acan I have are doing just fine. seems to just be effecting the zoas and nem.

tank is 48x24x16. I run brs gfo reactor with brs gfo. have carbon in a bag inside my filter sock. have cheato that runs 2 x 18w aquaticlife t5 on opposite cycle of tank.

changes

about a week or two before the bleaching.

went from running 6 bulbs (4b+, 1p+ and an actinic) 3 bulbs for 8 hours and all 6 for 4 hours.
switched to only 4 bulbs running (4b+) 2 bulbs for 12 hours and all 4 for 6hrs.

I had a hair algae problem and couldn't figure out how to get rid of it. I started dosing mb7 less then the recommended dosage (2caps a day mixed with salt water and used baster to put in high flow area) for 1 week then I stopped as I didn't see much difference. Actually the week leading up to the bleaching.

Changed out the left side of my rockwork for some dry rock that ran through bleach/acid/baking soda process I picked up form a buddy.

After bleaching started

last Wednesday I believe it was, I changed over to 165w x 2 led. Yes ebay Chinese led. currently running blues at 25% and whites at 10%. blues are on for 8 hours and whites on for 3hours.

Was running IO but switched to reef crystals.

do you think it could be a lack of light? Since they were bleached I didn't want to risk blasting them with LED. The zoas just keep getting lighter.

any input/experience is greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
B

bboyvital

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll put it out there cause it'll probably be said. Yes, it was a lot of changes at once. Unfortunately what's done is done. Now working towards recovery.

I don't think I mentioned but my hair algae died same time bleaching started. Lack of nutrients maybe?

lionfish5740

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had zoa/paly bleaching from lack of nutrients. If your NO3 is truly zero then that could be contributing to it. It's best to have some NO3 IMO.
If you think that the lighting is contributing to it then dim them, raise them some or shorten the schedule. I don't have much experience with T5 or Chinese LEDs.
Switching salts can stunt growth some while they adjust to it but wouldn't bleach.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 37 36.6%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 54 53.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.0%
Back