Deepwaters distinguishing characteristics

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I guess I must need a new project, even though I'm not done with the old ones yet LOL. If I remember correctly, a little over a year ago (?) these zoas hit the aquarium scene big time. I know that they were originally sold as deepwater zoathids brought in from Japan, and time proved that in fact they were neither from Japan, nor are they found in particularly deepwater. Regardless, many members of this group retain some features which make them relatively easy to identify on sight, others that are now being sold as "deepwaters" raise my eyebrows. In your opinion, what is it that qualifies a particular zoa as a deepwater? TIA

reeftank21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say smaller, shorter polyps. The polyps are generally bright solid color with spot in center. I agree that some do seem different but not sure that its because they are from Japan or deeper waters.

deepbluesea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 6 difrent kinds and they verry quite a bit some are about as big as a small paly some have rings some dont the tning i noticed is there all sweet lots of color in these guys. one colony i recieved even looked vaguely like purple hornets i think there called la lakers.

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found these two statements on another forum, what do you all think?

"Not sure of the exact things that make one a JDW, but basically it is some morph of a dark center and a ring of various colors, usually dark again with varying colored skirts. Sounds like a hornet. Doesn't have an alternating skirt and the ring is fat."

"I believe it is the tell tale bright, vibrant thick ring around the center mouth."

jordan3548

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse this statement if im wrong but isnt it extremely illegal to collect in Japan waters. I have heard they dont play when it comes to that. Again I may be wrong but thought I would share

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse this statement if im wrong but isnt it extremely illegal to collect in Japan waters. I have heard they dont play when it comes to that. Again I may be wrong but thought I would share

jordan, please reference the first post in this thread :angel:.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back