Toxic Paly or Zoa?

Kalurex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Can y’all please help me ID these? They came with the tank when I purchased it a few years back and I always thought they were zoas but was told recently otherwise. I was told they are captain jerks. Depending on the spot in the tank the color changes. I was going to bleach the rock and get rid of them because I got palytoxin poisoning a while back and don’t ever want to feel that again. But was told to frag them out instead or sell the rock as many people still collect them. I want to keep the rock though so I’m torn. I know there are two different color paly here tho. One is more neon and has longer lashes/skirt.

Any input is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

IMG_3147.jpeg IMG_3143.jpeg IMG_3140.jpeg

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pest paly,, possibly toxic but ALWAYS treat protopalys like these as IF they are toxic. Best to get these under control or better if you can remove the rock in one shot with them on it ,if you dont want them at all..
Are these toxic?

Attachments

• IMG_2478.jpeg
    IMG_2478.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
K

Kalurex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pest paly,, possibly toxic but ALWAYS treat protopalys like these as IF they are toxic. Best to get these under control or better if you can remove the rock in one shot with them on it ,if you dont want them at all..
What do you mean pest paly? Is there an actual name for them? There are TWO different types in the pics. I’m looking for ID. Local guy said captain jerk.

OP
OP
K

Kalurex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you start a new post of your own and not piggyback off mine when I’m still trying to get some answers? or at least wait until the OP has been answered? It’s a bit confusing when you’re jumping in between comments with your own pics and questions as I’m still communicating with people.
Do you know the name?

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad.
Just a related topic and I need to make a new thread.
I wait for you to get an answer.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, they're beauties. Yes they are toxic so be careful.
I'd love to have them but too far away :)
I would give you them if you were local.
You said be CAREFUL.
What exactly do you mean by that?
If I touch them will they hurt me or are they releasing toxins into the tank?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They can cause skin irritation if touched, but you shouldn't be handling your corals and rock with bare hands anyway. They'll release a fair amount of toxin if scraped or cut up, so don't do that in your tank. Some palythoas can spit water when removed from the tank, so eye protection is good if handling them.

My suggestion would be to just sell the whole rock, if you can. Handily solves your problem, and you don't have to deal with what are in fact quite a toxic species. Captain Jerks are pretty, and I like their long frill tentacles, but they can cause problems.

I would not apply bleach to toxic corals. Not sure how to kill them off the rock safely, though. Definitely not by scraping, cutting, or scrubbing them off- ineffective and potentially dangerous.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can cause skin irritation if touched, but you shouldn't be handling your corals and rock with bare hands anyway. They'll release a fair amount of toxin if scraped or cut up, so don't do that in your tank. Some palythoas can spit water when removed from the tank, so eye protection is good if handling them.

My suggestion would be to just sell the whole rock, if you can. Handily solves your problem, and you don't have to deal with what are in fact quite a toxic species. Captain Jerks are pretty, and I like their long frill tentacles, but they can cause problems.

I would not apply bleach to toxic corals. Not sure how to kill them off the rock safely, though. Definitely not by scraping, cutting, or scrubbing them off- ineffective and potentially dangerous.
Ok well it sounds like I will be selling this coral.
I really liked the bright green on these but whatever is best for the tank must be done.

Anyone want to pick these up.
Located in Durham NC

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could always put a small frag of them isolated on the sand. They're unlikely to cause any trouble if left alone, and putting them away from the rockwork means no need to worry about them invading everywhere.

OP
OP
K

Kalurex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bumping this back up to see if anyone has some actually helpful information for my original request. It seems to have been lost behind new requests made by a hijacked who was too lazy to start their own lol.

Kinda new here, not sure what the etiquete would be like on r2r, but it just seems a bit wrong for someone else to completely redirect focus of those who could have been otherwise helpful from the OP’s request to their own. This forum also doesn’t let you edit or delete posts huh? Maybe I’ll try Reddit.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please wear gloves and eye protection they have toxin and if your fragging them even more are released. There are members in this forum that was in hospital with an infection from his reef and could of lost his hand. Also a man rubbed his eye after touching them and rushed to hospital for a emergency operation on his eye and now lost most of his sight in one eye. These toxins are not to be messed around with always protect your self

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%

Back