“Quarantine” on Hifin Goby

geraldfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, i currently have 2 bio cube 32s running, the first is 9+ years old and has nasty algae and old rock work so I’m retiring it and eventually moving my clown and clown goby to the new 32, but I’m adding all the new fish first to decrease clown aggression.

so recently I bought a Hifin goby from Salty Underground and it came on time and looks great, it’s eating, burrowing, swimming around and doesn’t look damaged or sickly, it’s tankmate rn is some coral and a cleaner shrimp which also look great. It’s been 5 days and he still looks great, but how long is long enough to know that he’s for sure not carrying any illness that will hurt my clown and goby when I move them? because they’re very special and I don’t want to risk them.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, i currently have 2 bio cube 32s running, the first is 9+ years old and has nasty algae and old rock work so I’m retiring it and eventually moving my clown and clown goby to the new 32, but I’m adding all the new fish first to decrease clown aggression.

so recently I bought a Hifin goby from Salty Underground and it came on time and looks great, it’s eating, burrowing, swimming around and doesn’t look damaged or sickly, it’s tankmate rn is some coral and a cleaner shrimp which also look great. It’s been 5 days and he still looks great, but how long is long enough to know that he’s for sure not carrying any illness that will hurt my clown and goby when I move them? because they’re very special and I don’t want to risk them.

There is no way to be sure, even with a long amount of time (>75 days). Even a comprehensive quarantine can let some diseases through.

That said, the risk does decrease over time. The minimum I ever use for "observational quarantine" is 30 days. Still, since you have the fish isolated now, if it is in a stable tank, why not just quarantine it?

Jay

OP
OP
G

geraldfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thanks for your answer- I can’t do a regular quarantine in an empty tank because I don’t have the resources. I could barely fit the second BC into my home and it’s only temporary that I’ll have two of them as it is, I’ve only got space for one tank comfortably. I figured adding the ordered fish first and watching him is the best I could do, the rest of my stock will come from my LFS where they can quarantine themselves (ik it’s not foolproof but still better than not knowing like when you buy online).
I’d really like to be able to add my long-term fish from the first BC over to the new tank within a month or two granted he keeps looking healthy. I know there’s always a percent of risk when adding any new creature from anywhere, I’m just hoping to decrease the risk as much as I can with what I have

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back