“The solution to pollution is dilution” Do larger tanks still have this advantage?

Do you believe that the "The solution to pollution is dilution?"

• YES

Votes: 318 61.3%
  • NO

Votes: 124 23.9%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 64 12.3%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 13 2.5%

• Total voters

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it does really in the long run.
i think it’s easier at first but once a bigger tank is settled and has like green hair algae or cyno ...or what ever issues it will be more work more water more everything to get it back on track. So my answer is No
..... but maybe it’s easier to keep it stable ? I have my 225 G running for over 3 years and I m still have not got it to the point where it is stable, in fact ... just survived another tank crush so imo size might stretch an issue but don’t prevent it

Ian M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the beginning of a problem that has been identified then greater volume would be a good thing to reduce the negative effects, but if the problem goes unnoticed until it becomes visible then cure could be massive. ie. A 100% water change on systems <100 gallons is way easier then on systems of 500+ gallons.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000 ppm of nitrate in a large tank is the same as 1000 ppm nitrate in a small tank, its just easier to remove and replace bad water in the small tank.

TheOldSalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large tanks have the advantage when they are new.
The problem is that after a long time, it takes more work and material to keep things clean and maintained.
Change happens much slower in a big tank, of course, but that goes for good changes as well as bad ones. By the time you've noticed that something is wrong, it's going to take a lot more effort and money to fix.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current tank (#2 overall) is 150 gal (1.5 years). My first tank was 90 gal (12 years). 3 years off in between. I made specific choices with my current tank based on my experience with my first tank (new vs old):
  1. Bigger (150 vs 90) with a bigger sump (40 gal vs 10 gal)
    1. More stability due to larger volume of water: less affected by minor events such as fish/snail dying or dosing variations (out-of-calibration or concentrations slightly off)
    2. Also, want this to be my last tank (bought higher quality)
  2. Apex Controller vs no controller
    1. I once killed almost all my fish by not remembering to turn my pumps back on (power strip switch) after feeding phyto after lights-out. Such a terrible feeling! Never want to repeat that.
    2. With a controller, I can turn things off (feed-mode 1-4) for different periods of time and then it all turns back on automatically
    3. The visibility from the controller also gives me much greater peace-of-mind. I can know that my return pumps and ATO are working
  3. Auto-top-off vs manual
    1. More stability and less maintenance
  4. Two identical return pumps vs one
    1. Heart of the system supplying aeration from skimmer
    2. More reliable: pumps don't last forever
    3. Independent return plumbing, too (one through chiller)
    4. If pump feeding chiller goes out, I can swap pumps due to use of unions
  5. Auto-water-change vs manual
    1. More stability and less maintenance
    2. When life got in the way, my first tank suffered most from lack of water changes
  6. Macro-algae in refugium/sump vs carbon
    1. More natural and effective in directly reducing phosphate and nitrate
    2. Carbon can strip too much and requires more care (higher maintenance)
    3. Unfortunately, discovered that lack of trace amounts of iron leads to dead chaeto (resulting in massive release of phosphate and nitrate)
My full intent when setting up my current tank was long-term success. Starting with dry rock has made this a much different experience than my first tank, but it is much better now (after first year). I don't know if my tank is ULM, but it is definitely low maintenance compared to my first tank.

sreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“The solution to pollution is dilution”
This is the phrase Anthony Calfo would always use!

Emerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but...
-A larger established tank will be more stable to sudden spikes in nutrients from an animal death, coral warfare etc.
-You still need to establish pollution/nutrient export methods appropriately sized whether it's carbon, skimmer, UV, water changes. With larger volume comes larger equipment and/or water changes.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1, 1st solution no.
#2, yes the larger volume will allow a safety net. Power goes out a smaller tank will run out of o2 faster then a larger one given the same load. And if a contaminate gets into the system the larger volume will lower the concentration of it making it less potent.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back