「Good water change」meaning

ナイトコア猫

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you explain the word "good water change" in the simplest English? What does the English word "good" mean here? sorry to bother you.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you explain the word "good water change" in the simplest English? What does the English word "good" mean here? sorry to bother you.
Maybe the "good" means "large" in this case? Or it could mean "helpful" and "makes the water cleaner"

Maybe if you quoted the entire sentence it would help. :)

Upvote 0

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good is actually a word used as not only as an opinion and subject to each individual, but can also be used as a measurement of quality if a rating system is standardized and accepted by others.

Good water change could be used in a few ways. If to many nutrients in tank and enough were exported. If parameters were off and a water change corrected this. If part of the water change helped clean up debree or other unsightly things in water. Or if you did a very large water change or combination of the above. Sometimes even with a "good" water change problems arent corrected.

For simpler, a good water change in general would be if you did more than you normally would do during water change.

Upvote 0

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“ good water change “ like mentioned above, usually a large water change, cleaning up any excess algae, detritus, etc….
Trying to match salinity levels to the aquarium, and temperatures is also ideal.

I agree with the quoted post.

When you see someone say "perform a good water change" on this forum, they generally mean a large water change to correct an issue with water quality.

Upvote 0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered some of the explanations others gave, but then also factored in you would never really say "bad water change". Beneficial water change might be a better translation?

Upvote 0

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think for more simplification is someone who does a larger water change than what they normally would do. As in people say, "I performed a good water change (but it didnt resolve the issue.)" Or "(and it resolved the issue.)".

But when reffering to parameters this is a nono around here lol. Never say "my parameters are good." Lol give numbers or youll get hit with "whats good parameters?" Rofl.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ナイトコア猫

ナイトコア猫

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an ESL issue. I believe the OP is trying to figure out what people mean when they say "perform a good water change", which is really poor english.

"This is an ESL issue." That's right. My English is...a little. It's my third language.

We wouldn't really say it like that.

Yes Yes. I understand.

Maybe the "good" means "large" in this case? Or it could mean "helpful" and "makes the water cleaner"

Thank you. There are phrases such as "good water change" and reef2reef on brs facebook. Example:

1、https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/help-ammonia-level-spiked-after-dead-snail.1000969/post-11633340
Clown fish usually hold up pretty well to poor water conditions, you should be ok for the night after a good water change. But for sure keep watching ammonia levels to make sure it isn't just a dead snail causing the spike. If stuff hasn't dropped in the morning you could get some more bottled bacteria, or ammoguard or similar from your lfs for a short term bandaid.

2、https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/what-to-do.1005038/post-11695062
I have this tank as well. Very nice.
If no one has died for 11 days, or is struggling, lathargic, or popping the surface, your cycled enough to keep your friends going.

A good water change will reduce any excess load if any, and is always a good idea in new new set ups, so go ahead with that thought.

2 sets of clowns?
Not sure how that’s going to work.

3、https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a...nted-algae-in-your-tank.1022112/post-11983375
For me, when I see a bit of algae here and there, it prompts me to start testing my parameters again. If everything is running fine, I have no algae. when things start to go off then I start seeing the unwanted stuff. Usually a couple good water changes is all that is needed to fix it.

Good is actually a word used as not only as an opinion and subject to each individual, but can also be used as a measurement of quality if a rating system is standardized and accepted by others.

Good water change could be used in a few ways. If to many nutrients in tank and enough were exported. If parameters were off and a water change corrected this. If part of the water change helped clean up debree or other unsightly things in water. Or if you did a very large water change or combination of the above. Sometimes even with a "good" water change problems arent corrected.

For simpler, a good water change in general would be if you did more than you normally would do during water change.
“ good water change “ like mentioned above, usually a large water change, cleaning up any excess algae, detritus, etc….
Trying to match salinity levels to the aquarium, and temperatures is also ideal.
I agree with the quoted post.

When you see someone say "perform a good water change" on this forum, they generally mean a large water change to correct an issue with water quality.
I think for more simplification is someone who does a larger water change than what they normally would do. As in people say, "I performed a good water change (but it didnt resolve the issue.)" Or "(and it resolved the issue.)".

But when reffering to parameters this is a nono around here lol. Never say "my parameters are good." Lol give numbers or youll get hit with "whats good parameters?" Rofl.
I considered some of the explanations others gave, but then also factored in you would never really say "bad water change". Beneficial water change might be a better translation?

Thank you everyone! Yes yes. :D:grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes: Does "good" here mean "sufficient"? ("beneficial", "sufficient", "adequate", etc.)

So, we need "Helpful, Beneficial, Sufficient, Adequate water change" here :grinning-face-with-sweat::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:. It's so embarrassing, I'm sorry. Fortunately, I don't speak English very well, so I'm afraid of being scolded by everyone. So many algae are too outrageous, right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"This is an ESL issue." That's right. My English is...a little. It's my third language.

Yes Yes. I understand.

Thank you. There are phrases such as "good water change" and reef2reef on brs facebook. Example:

1、https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/help-ammonia-level-spiked-after-dead-snail.1000969/post-11633340

2、https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/what-to-do.1005038/post-11695062

3、https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a...nted-algae-in-your-tank.1022112/post-11983375

Thank you everyone! Yes yes. :D:grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes: Does "good" here mean "sufficient"? ("beneficial", "sufficient", "adequate", etc.)

So, we need "Helpful, Beneficial, Sufficient, Adequate water change" here :grinning-face-with-sweat::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:. It's so embarrassing, I'm sorry. Fortunately, I don't speak English very well, so I'm afraid of being scolded by everyone. So many algae are too outrageous, right?

From those examples I would say that “good” means “large” or “larger than normal”

Meaning they did a bigger water change than they would normally do as a way to help get water quality back to normal.

Upvote 0

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, you are right, "Good" is Helpful, Beneficial, Adequate. You got it!

Don't worry about being scolded about scolded about your language, or asking any questions. no one should do that here!

Upvote 0

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adequate. Not every tank needs the same water change. But performing that water change if and when required, is considered good.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back