0.17 PPM Copper

FirstContact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been adding Seachem's Fuel to my coral frag tank 2 times a week. Fuel has 1ug micro gram of copper in it. Is this safe for my Astrea snails that are in there. I measured the copper today with a Hanna checker and it was 0.17 ppm Copper. Wondering about the value and if the measurement is coming from the Fuel or leaking from the old 30g breeder tank. I cleaned/soaked the tank with a bleach mixture and then a vinegar mixture when I got it years ago.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good questions. Following.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been adding Seachem's Fuel to my coral frag tank 2 times a week. Fuel has 1ug micro gram of copper in it. Is this safe for my Astrea snails that are in there. I measured the copper today with a Hanna checker and it was 0.17 ppm Copper. Wondering about the value and if the measurement is coming from the Fuel or leaking from the old 30g breeder tank. I cleaned/soaked the tank with a bleach mixture and then a vinegar mixture when I got it years ago.

I do not know if that value is accurate, but if it is, it is too much copper.

Fuel is not the source.

Aquavitro apparently does not understand basic science principles since their guaranteed analysis in not actually in concentration units. They give the "guaranteed analysis" as "1 ug" copper.

https://www.aquavitro.com/fuel.php

But assuming they mean 1 ug/ml (very likely), you'd need to add 170 mL of Fuel per liter of aquarium water to get to your level. I assume you didn't dump in multiple bottles at once, so I'd look for another source.

Broken heaters, brass parts anywhere, including the RO/DI outlet, etc.

OP
OP
FirstContact

FirstContact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I use Cuprisorb and the copper comes back can I assume it's leaching from the silicone in the tank? The heater is new. The basement is unfinished and we do have copper pipes all over. Now I'm worried about the pipes because I didn't always have a dehumidifier in the basement and the top of the pipes have turned green in some parts. I had a plumber look at the pipes. He said they were fine and wouldn't replace them unless we finished the basement. I can't really move the tank at this time becasuse it has frags in it.

Thanks Randy!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I use Cuprisorb and the copper comes back can I assume it's leaching from the silicone in the tank? The heater is new. The basement is unfinished and we do have copper pipes all over. Now I'm worried about the pipes because I didn't always have a dehumidifier in the basement and the top of the pipes have turned green in some parts. I had a plumber look at the pipes. He said they were fine and wouldn't replace them unless we finished the basement. I can't really move the tank at this time becasuse it has frags in it.

Thanks Randy!

I actually think that silicone doesn't bind any substantial amount of copper from water.

You are using RO/DI water at 0 ppm TDS, right? Tap water can be a big source.

I did have one person post years ago who had condensation on the outside of copper pipes that has occasionally dripped green water into her sump. That's definitely not good. The green stuff, if it gets swirled up as dry dust somehow is also not good. But just having corroded pipes nearby in the basement is not usually an issue.

OP
OP
FirstContact

FirstContact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the source is my CaCl driveway ice melt. Just ordered new CaCl from BRS along with MgCl and sulfate. Didn’t test my epsom salts last night but I figured I’d just get that from BRS too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back