Copper in Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt?

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an ICP test come back with 6mcg/L of Copper in my display. I have a Hanna checker for Copper that I used on QT system so I checked my water and I got a reading of 0.1 ppm on the checker. I tried running Triton detox and got a reading of 0.04 after the treatment and a water change. I searched my tank and sump for any metal and no luck. I do have sealed magnets and probes in my tank and I keep my flipper in the tank but I doubt that's the source. This prompted me to try the checker on my salt mix and got a reading of 0.11 on the salt (Tropic Marin Pro Reef). I might have reintroduced more copper after the water change. I checked my RODI and got a reading 0.00ppm on the checker. I went back and rechecked and got a similar reading on all 3 tests. This means it's coming from the salt mix right? Should I stop using Tropic Marin? I just picked up 3 boxes of this for black friday too. Has anyone else had similar issues. Is there a different salt I can try? I store my salt in the garage and do autowater changes so I need something that can store for 4 weeks

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should stop using that checker for copper levels in a reef tank.

The checker only works in high range levels, and it will give false positives in lower levels. It is not accurate enough for reef tanks.

Stick with ICP for copper testing.

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should stop using that checker for copper levels in a reef tank.

The checker only works in high range levels, and it will give false positives in lower levels. It is not accurate enough for reef tanks.

Stick with ICP for copper testing.
The ICP was positive though

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But my test was consistently 0.1ppm in the salt mix
You aren’t the first person to experience this. I’m telling you based on experience and from helping others: that checker will not read low enough. It’s not accurate. The results are false.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated, Hanna no good for low levels of copper. Also realize, if I have my zeros right, 6 micrograms/L of copper is 0.006ppm which is pretty low.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna copper checker is not accurate below 1ppm. This has been discussed recently somewhere on this forum.
As Miami Reef and others said, there's no use of Hanna Copper Checker to test levels below certain threshold
6mcg/l=0.006ppm, which is very low
Some copper will be present in possibly most salt mixtures.
Do you add any micro elements? Copper can be present there.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Copper is an essential element to life. Many of us dose it in some way even.

I would be far more worried about leaving your Flipper in the tank. I can't think of another cleaner that breaks open and lets water into the magnets more than Flipper.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back