tropic marin pro salt issue

e34stx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
i have noticed a brown film develope when i mix up fresh salt, has anyone else noticed this? after completing a water change i noticed this leaves a thick white film on the water surface that is quite hard to remove, it almost looks like oil. nothing else has changed regarding equipment or rodi, the only thing that has changed is the bucket of salt.
thanks

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
i have noticed a brown film develope when i mix up fresh salt, has anyone else noticed this? after completing a water change i noticed this leaves a thick white film on the water surface that is quite hard to remove, it almost looks like oil. nothing else has changed regarding equipment or rodi, the only thing that has changed is the bucket of salt.
thanks
I think most salts have this problem. It's not much of a problem really. I just periodically clean out my container.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've used up 3 - 160 gal boxes of TM Pro in the last couple of months. Mixes up as clean as ever.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
thanks
Is this a new bucket or perhaps one you've had for quite awhile? Check manufacturing location on the bucket to be sure that it's not one from Turkey.

AZRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 160g box and mixed about 30g worth... It came out clean.

OP
OP
E

e34stx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tbf this is the first bucket i had this issue with. i have just started a new one, so see what happens.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully these issues aren't popping up again. I would check where and when it was made.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you mix a small batch, 1l of RODI water and see if you get the same issue in a clean container. Sometimes in older mixing container you can get bacteria growing and perhaps that is the issue. Clean container will eliminate that possibility.

If you do get the film please take a picture. I am curious what it looks like.
FYI, I used TM salt for number of years and I have not seen it.

I would also contact TM and they might have other suggestion.

Also when mixing do you heat or excessively agitate the mix? Heat and oxygen can lead to growth of other things. Freshly mixed saltwater is ideal solution to grow things….

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to find DOM date of manufacture and location printed on the bucket or box somewhere.

OP
OP
E

e34stx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i heat to 26'c and have a return pump agitating the barrel(50L). the barrel has a lid and is rinsed with RODI before filling.
thanks

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only been around this hobby for twenty years. I have found only two salt mixes in all that time that don't have the mud. Kent, and nyos. I haven't tried brightwells. All the others make a mess of your mixing container. Please note though, Kent and nyos tend to ball up over time more than the others. It didn't appear to affect the salt properties.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back