3 part dosing and tropic marin part C

Patoche

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I'm using sodium carbonate and calcium chloride for my 2 part
795gr of sodium carbonate to make 5L of solution mixed in RODI (And i'm dosing 33.6ml of this solution to add 2.8dKH in 100L)
1065gr of calcium chloride to make 5L of solution mixed in RODI (And i'm dosing 33.4ml of this solution to add ~20ppm of calcium in 100L)

I'm using a cheap "NaCl free seasalt" available here in France but a i want to switch to Tropic Marin Part C because i've some problems with low sulfates, high potassium and more calcium than added in 2 part since severals months now.

Is it possible to do a x3 dosage on Tropic Marin Part C to match the solution i'm using for my alkalinity and calcium ?

Thanks a lot :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin's data page for Balling has some issues with it that makes such a calculation complicated. Notably, they seem to think that 1 US gallon is 3.5 liters, which it is not. Very strange.

The addition of 1 fl.oz./30 ml of each solution will raise the calcium level of 10 US-gal./35 l by approx. 15 ppm and the alkalinity by 2.2 °dH.

But if they are correct that the alk part is 2800 dKH, then we can go from there.

Your alk part is 795 g/5L = 159 g/L = 1.5 M = 1500 mM = 8400 dKH

Thus, your material is 3 times as potent as normal Balling (2800 dKH) and yes, 3x is correct.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back