Calcium and Magnesium at high levels. Why?

legos14

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 18, 2023
Messages
13
Reaction score
3
Location
Texas
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to figure out why my calcium and magnesium levels are high. The consumption levels seem to be non existent. Tank is about 8 months old. But I used rock from another system thats about 3 years old.

Salt mix I use is Tropic Marin
Dosed All For Reef twice then noticed increase. Haven’t dosed in about 3 to 4 weeks.

120g
Alkalinity - 7.7
Calcium - 567
Magnesium - 1545
Nitrate - 13.5
PH - 7.9
Phosphate - 0.14
 
I would first verify testing. Both of the parameters in question along with salinity.
 
I would first verify testing. Both of the parameters in question along with salinity.
All Hannah testers. Calibrated the salinity tester. Reading 1.024. Tested mag and cal several times and tested RO to verify it was working correctly. Seems to be reading correctly.
 
What is that salt supposed to mix to?
 
What does the new salt water actually test as using those same devices?

There's not generally any source of calcium or magnesium aside from salt mixes or some sort of dosing products.

Are you using tap water for evaporation replacement or new salt water?

How are you measuring salinity? Maybe it is very high.
 
What does the new salt water actually test as using those same devices?

There's not generally any source of calcium or magnesium aside from salt mixes or some sort of dosing products.

Are you using tap water for evaporation replacement or new salt water?

How are you measuring salinity? Maybe it is very high.
Using RODI water in the ATO.

I haven’t measured the new salt mix. I’ll do test soonest
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 13.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new