0.7 Phosphates, time for GFO?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As title says, I’ve been having Phopshates creep up and up with no luck on making it stop. Time for GFO? My sps are starting to lose a bit of color but still are growing and have good PE. Dosing nitrates as well and trying to get them above 10

Alk: 6 (raising slowly to about 9.5)
Calc: 410
Mag: 1455
PO4 0.7 (not 0.07)
NO3 6.0

All tested using Hannah testers

reef guy 56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you should keep on doing water changes and if that’s not working, then start using GFO (hey don’t ask me I’m just a newbie to.)

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 50% water change will knock that down to 0.35. GFO is going to impact your trace as well.
That works with nitrates but not so much with po4, as po4 is stored in rock etc, as you remove it from the water, rock and sand etc will release their stores to balance the po4 again.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trace elements even matter at this point?
They are keeping acros. Trace absolutely matters. Trace matters for all corals. Not to be a jerk, but you really need to gain some experience before making recommendations. I'd recommend listening and learning, then applying and experiencing before making recommendations.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As title says, I’ve been having Phopshates creep up and up with no luck on making it stop. Time for GFO? My sps are starting to lose a bit of color but still are growing and have good PE. Dosing nitrates as well and trying to get them above 10

Alk: 6 (raising slowly to about 9.5)
Calc: 410
Mag: 1455
PO4 0.7 (not 0.07)
NO3 6.0

All tested using Hannah testers
Have you used rowa before?

I hate the stuff, just moved to Tropic Marin Bacto, highly recommend it, you would need to start with TM Elimi then move to Bacto when you are down below 0.1 po4.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That works with nitrates but not so much with po4, as po4 is stored in rock etc, as you remove it from the wster, rock and sand etc will release their stores to balance the po4 again.
It will reduce your phosphate in the water by 50%. What you continue to release to an equilibrium from rock/sand has to be dealt with regardless. Continued water changes will no doubt continue to reduce the number.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will reduce your phosphate in the water by 50%. What you continue to release to an equilibrium from rock/sand has to be dealt with regardless. Continued water changes will no doubt continue to reduce the number.
Correct, but that is not what you actually said, what I was replying to was your statement that a 50% water change would bring the OP’s po4 lvl down to 0.35 which wouldn’t be the case….maybe a few 50% water changes would start to see a reduction.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have acros, low dose of lanthanum every couple of days followed by large water changes would be what I would try to do until you get to 0.2 and then just watch and keep trying to lower slowly.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my Opinion GFO is for when you don't have a problem. It's a maintenance tool not so much a reduction tool, but of course scale matters. If it's a smaller tank then use GFO to bring it down, just be careful that it doesn't come down to fast. I've killed more things by dropping too fast, than having things high.

That said, what worked for me to go from .65 to .05 was 4 months of time, a few water changes, and Phosphate E dosing (lanthinum chloride). Dose low and slow. In a 340 gallon I started with 5 ml twice a day. After a couple weeks I was up to 12 ml twice a day. And that started reducing it by around .05 ppm per day. However, as others said, those phosphates are heavily bound in rocks, so you must give it time for everything to leach out of the rocks. After phosphates dropped down to under .1 for me, I couldn't keep them up. I'm adding fish, feeding heavily and adding in coral food to try to keep phosphates between .05 and .1.

Slow and gradual and your reef will thank you!

reef guy 56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s honestly kind of ridiculous you do realize that there’s actually gold in seawater right???????
Keeps stuff alive, who really knows is the truthful answer but some people swear a missing element is the reason some corals can’t be kept in some peoples tanks.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 45 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back