0 nitrate 0.3 phosphate?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
finally got rid of the Red Sea test kits and got a Hannah checkers for everything.

Alk: 7.2
Calc : 374
Po4: 0.3 (not 0.03)
Nitrate: 0.0
Mg: unknowns at the moment test kit isn’t in yet

One acro has RTN and another burnt tips. I got a bottle of neo nitro and th tank is lightly stocked (2 clowns and a gramma).

Any suggestions? Was gonna dose to raise nitrate 0.5/day. Coral looks okay but like I said, had a RTN today and don’t want to lose anything else.

Also going to get calc up a little bit to 420 ish

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dose to get nitrates up, and hold off on water changes, if possible, until you either need to replace something (calcium, etc) or remove nutrients.

Brandont21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mg is arguably a useless test. How old was the frag that rtn? What does your lighting look like? Schedule? Burnt tips or growth? Send pics please. Ive added acro that rtnd and the one right next to it grew like a weed. Lol

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mg is arguably a useless test. How old was the frag that rtn? What does your lighting look like? Schedule? Burnt tips or growth? Send pics please. Ive added acro that rtnd and the one right next to it grew like a weed. Lol
Tank is 4 years old, acro that RTN is about 1 year (in Feb). Lighting is 2x AI Blades Grow and they’re getting about 300 Par where they are. Schedule attached but it’s been like this since I got the frags. Got about 7 acros together in a bundle, most were single sticks maybe 1-3” (all my sps came together in this bundle) The ones photos were all single stems. Most are doing okay. One has STN but is also next to my nem so I assume it’s getting stung. Too encrusted to move. Also see burnt tips acro (bright yellow/green one). Flow is a Nero 3 and an MP10 on opposite sides of the tank, meeting in middle for solid turbulent flow. My LPS are doing fine and Zia’s are growing like weeds.

RTN (now w lights off)
image.jpg

(Few hours ago under blues)
IMG_0371.jpeg

Burnt Tips Acro
image.jpg

(In lights)
IMG_0372.jpeg

Lighting (been this way since the blades came out and have had great success with this schedule till now)
IMG_0382.jpeg

Brandont21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes imo it is. However dosing nitrates may be your best bet. Like mentioned it should bring you phosphates down.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes imo it is. However dosing nitrates may be your best bet. Like mentioned it should bring you phosphates down.
Alright I’ll dose at 0.5 Ppm daily and see how phosphates read in a few days. I’ve also been dosing Red Sea AB+ based on their ULNS dosing. Reef roids 1x a week RedSea AB+ daily.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get nitrates up with dosing, it might be limiting your phosphate reduction.

Personally I would dose neo nitro as frequently as needed to keep nitrates measurable, and start dosing TM Elimi-NP

I've had .3 phos from a chaeto melt didn't cause too many issues. It went down quick once I fixed the cause of the chaeto problem. Ive never had measurable nitrates without dosing.

Which model is your phosphate checker?

Also, do you dose silicates?

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would get nitrates up with dosing, it might be limiting your phosphate reduction.

Personally I would dose neo nitro as frequently as needed to keep nitrates measurable, and start dosing TM Elimi-NP

I've had .3 phos from a chaeto melt didn't cause too many issues. It went down quick once I fixed the cause of the chaeto problem. Ive never had measurable nitrates without dosing.

Which model is your phosphate checker?

Also, do you dose silicates?
Nope no silicate dosing except for a small like 4”x4” carbonara rock island I glued some zoas to recently. And the Hannah high range

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate issue will be solved along with nitrates - If i'm incorrect the scientists on here will correct me

I'm not sure how the suggestion of feeding more is going to reduce phosphate, but I agree it will boost nitrate is feeding is sufficiently increased.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back