Help Diagnosing My Tank "Crash"

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping I'm at the tail end of what I'd describe as a long slow degrade of most of the SPS in my tank, starting in September.

I had a 1 yr old thriving shallow mixed reef tank with a mix of softies, SPS (acros, montis), and LPS. Everything was doing really well and growing really nicely for the past 6-8 months or so. My philosophy has always been really simple. I don't run a skimmer because I've had issues with low nutrients in the past and also do infrequent water changes. I have an apex that doses calc/alk. Overall, things have been really stable with no significant changes. I use my own RO/DI water for ATO and filtered/boxed NSW for monthly water changes.

As of today, I've lost a lot of my SPS and what's left is in pure survival mode. The degradation happened really slowly and in waves. Some corals would RTN quickly while others got pale/lost PE, and slowly degraded. Most acro damage looked like burnt tips at first or dying from the top down. I have 1-2 acros that have actually held on and look OK. 1-2 others have dead spots but have not progressed further in the past week or so. All my branching montis died or bleached. The last thing to go was my German blue digi that was rounding out into a nice colony from just a tiny frag from over a year ago.

My parameters are typically:

35ppt salinity
440 calcium
1250-1300 mg
7.8-8.1 dkh
10-25ppm nitrates
0.05-0.10 ppm po4
7.5-7.9 ph (have always struggled to keep this up but it's been this way since the very beginning).
78-80°F

Note, I've had struggles with keeping nutrients up since the tank went up. I will dose nitrates/phosphates occasionally and feed reef roids weekly to try to stay ahead of it. It's probably been my biggest challenge. I test nutrients periodically and didn't see any massive swings over the course of the summer. everything else is managed via controlled dosing with apex/trident.

Please see my timeline below.

1. In early July, I changed my lights from 3 AI primes + 2 Orphek OR3 Blue Plus led bars to 4 Orphek OR3 led bars (no more AI primes). Before the switch, the measured par at the very top of my tank was around 300-350. I did not take a par reading when I switched to the all Orpheck lighting setup however after some research, my lighting likely spiked to 500-600 at the top of my tank. I had the orpheck bars at 90-100% intensity. Dumb on my part but everything seemed to be doing well 2-3 weeks after the switch. Colors were popping and no issues that I could see.

2. I had two larger alk spikes over the course of 2-3 months (May-July) due to accidental alk overdose. My alk consumption in general at times was so rapid and in random spurts that keeping up was a challenge. Sometimes it would drop from 8 to 6 in the course of a day or so because my dosing schedule could not keep up with increasing demand. I did some manual dosing and added WAYYY too much alk that caused some instant spikes from 8-12. In these two cases, I let the alk fall naturally. I would say they corrected on their own in the next 24-36 hours.

3. I went on vacation in late July for 10 days. When I came home (Aug 1), things looked a little "off" but still OK, and no deaths. The only noticeable change was a spike in hair algae throughout my tank. I used an auto feeder while on vacation and my nutrients may have spiked a bit. The hair algae also seemed to have come out of nowhere.

4. The last thriving picture of my tank on my phone was August 19. Everything looked good with the exception of the hair algae. My nutrients read zero via Hanna checkers but not sure if this was a false reading from hair algae. At this time I added additional CUC to help with the hair algae and increased feeding. My shipment from Reef Cleaners was delayed in shipping but I added them anyway in hopes they would make it. Most died or were DOA. In hindsight... prob dumb on my part and maybe spiked nutrients.

unnamed.jpg

5. In September, I started to notice my bubblegum digi getting a little pale and losing PE. I turned my lights down a little in response but over the course of September, everything started to go downhill one by one. I sent away for an ICP test and everything looked OK with the exception of raised Tin (11.00 µg/l) and Lithium (337.00 µg/l). My only other ICP test was from this past April, which more or less was exactly the same minus the Tin reading and a Lithium reading of 174.00 µg/l.

6. I did some water changes and added Cuprisorb to combat any heavy metals. No other changes made and no livestock additions other than CUC since April. My calcium spiked to 500 due to decreased demand but by then everything was already spiraling. I stopped dosing altogether for weeks because there was no consumption.

Things have stabilized a bit as of today. I cleaned out the last of the dead SPS yesterday. My softies, pocillopora, hammers, torches, clam, leathers, mushrooms, and ricordias all look fine. No fish or invert losses. My Hawkins acro has some brownish tips but more or less looks OK. I'm having a hard time understanding how my oldest birdnest and forest fire digi died when they were some of the first corals I got for my nano reef 2 years ago (I put them through hell and they carried on!) below is today... you can see the dead tips on my brown PC rainbow in the top left. My garf bonsai and a random blue acro (forget name) are the only acros that are truly untouched from the event.

unnamed.jpg

The worst part of this whole thing is I'm not 100% sure where I went wrong or if it was a combination of unfavorable changes that really did me in. From my perspective, nothing was overly dramatic with the exception of the 2 alk swings, but even so, the delay from an overdose to the start of demise was 4-5 weeks at a minimum. Is a delayed dying response of that long even possible? Is the described above enough to crash a tank or is it something else I can't see?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I just want to ensure I never do anything like this again. Writing this all out was certainly helpful for my own knowledge/experience.

OP
OP
swilliams2207

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An abrupt alkalinity spike did in my prize Chip's acropora. By the time I caught it RTN had set in and it was dead within 24-48 hours.
I guess I’m surprised by the delayed nature of the event. Maybe it snowballed. Both were 200ml+ additions. I’m surprised I didn’t see anything die the next day or shortly after.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything like warfare from anemones (I've heard, not sure) or toadstool terpenes being released? Have you ruled out any rusting impellers or magnets or other metals? Theres also a chance if any aerosols or plug in air freshners or candles are being used. If not, it could be toward the bacterial side. Some of these may be obvious but doesn't hurt to mention

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always collect water, even if I don’t have a current ICP test in hand. That water sometimes will easily tell you exactly what happened.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as mentioned the alk swings are bad for SPS but for me what stands out is you said you were doing infrequent water changes. This is the primary way to maintain tank balance and if you stop doing them then balance goes away. Were you dosing trace while not doing water changes? The light switch could have also had an impact until things acclimated to the change. Corals can sometimes be struggling internally for weeks or months before they show the decline externally so your problem could have been going on for an extended period of time. You mention brown tips on some of your SPS. That is usually a light issue or elevated nutrients.

OP
OP
swilliams2207

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything like warfare from anemones (I've heard, not sure) or toadstool terpenes being released? Have you ruled out any rusting impellers or magnets or other metals? Theres also a chance if any aerosols or plug in air freshners or candles are being used. If not, it could be toward the bacterial side. Some of these may be obvious but doesn't hurt to mention
thanks for reminding me - I broke down powerheads and pumps. No rust that I can see. No air fresheners, candles or aerosols. Tank is in our home office so it’s away from traffic/rest of the house. No anemones. I have a few leathers. Not sure how to identify terpenes but I can look into it.

OP
OP
swilliams2207

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always collect water, even if I don’t have a current ICP test in hand. That water sometimes will easily tell you exactly what happened.
I sent away for a second ICP test to ATI as of a few days ago. As mentioned, nothing other than the two elements I mentioned were elevated from my test in September. From what I’ve read Tin and Lithium aren’t totally out of the ordinary? I’ll see what the next test comes back looking like. This one included RO/DI test.

OP
OP
swilliams2207

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as mentioned the alk swings are bad for SPS but for me what stands out is you said you were doing infrequent water changes. This is the primary way to maintain tank balance and if you stop doing them then balance goes away. Were you dosing trace while not doing water changes? The light switch could have also had an impact until things acclimated to the change. Corals can sometimes be struggling internally for weeks or months before they show the decline externally so your problem could have been going on for an extended period of time. You mention brown tips on some of your SPS. That is usually a light issue or elevated nutrients.
Thanks for feedback. I was doing 5 gallon water changes monthly. Obviously very minimal but was in line with what I’ve been doing since the tank went up. Maybe something caught up with me…

I was dosing trace elements weekly from tropic Marin, A,K.

Nutrients were probably a little sporadic and MAY have bottomed out at one point before shooting back up. They may have been elevated while I was on vacation for 10 days. That could explain the algae outbreak.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for reminding me - I broke down powerheads and pumps. No rust that I can see. No air fresheners, candles or aerosols. Tank is in our home office so it’s away from traffic/rest of the house. No anemones. I have a few leathers. Not sure how to identify terpenes but I can look into it.
Terpenes from leather corals can be toxic to SPS but if you were running carbon then they would probably not be a problem source.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent away for a second ICP test to ATI as of a few days ago. As mentioned, nothing other than the two elements I mentioned were elevated from my test in September. From what I’ve read Tin and Lithium aren’t totally out of the ordinary? I’ll see what the next test comes back looking like. This one included RO/DI test.

Ok, let me know. You are correct that Tin and Lithium typically don’t crash tanks and do seem to always come back somewhat elevated. I’ll be interested to see the ATI analysis.

OP
OP
swilliams2207

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, let me know. You are correct that Tin and Lithium typically don’t crash tanks and do seem to always come back somewhat elevated. I’ll be interested to see the ATI analysis.
Here are my latest ATI results for RO and tank water. Some trace elements are low however only other thing I see is the presence of aluminum. It's giving the green light but not sure if that is bad?

At this point, I'm wondering if this is bacterial. I had one more acro colony die off almost overnight. It seems to be moving from one coral to the next, finishing off one before the next starts to deteriorate. Can't imagine this is an alk issue from May or July.

RO:

TANK:

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to see any smoking gun on that writeup. You won't find one in your ICP results either.

If I had to guess, if the pH was really that low, then maybe you were walking on the line and it just went on too long or finally crossed it. You should always run a skimmer to at least exchange gas, even if you don't use it to pull any organics. If your tester/probe/whatever is really accurate, you likely have a dangerous amount of co2 in your home and the pH might come up with just a lot of fresh air - the tank and the humans will thank you for airing it out.

Nutrients do not crash tanks. Even if you had something get mad as they rose, that is more of a gradual death and not a crash... and other things likely would not have cared at all.

OP
OP
swilliams2207

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to see any smoking gun on that writeup. You won't find one in your ICP results either.

If I had to guess, if the pH was really that low, then maybe you were walking on the line and it just went on too long or finally crossed it. You should always run a skimmer to at least exchange gas, even if you don't use it to pull any organics. If your tester/probe/whatever is really accurate, you likely have a dangerous amount of co2 in your home and the pH might come up with just a lot of fresh air - the tank and the humans will thank you for airing it out.

Nutrients do not crash tanks. Even if you had something get mad as they rose, that is more of a gradual death and not a crash... and other things likely would not have cared at all.
Appreciate the advice and insight. Have a skimmer ready to install. My office door is often closed so it def doesn’t get the flow of fresh air as often as the rest of the house. I need to figure something out. Also looking into dosing kalk at night.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back