Custom 150 Cube 36x36x28

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, officially starting a new build. This is a custom tank from glass cages measuring 36x36x28. It’s basically the same dimensions as the marineland 150DD tank. I was close to going that route but I’ve heard too many awful stories about the seams blowing. I’ve decided to pay more for quality and peace of mind from Joe and his team.

I toyed with the idea of going back to a cube for a long time. I have a shallow 70 peninsula at the moment and while I like it, I’ve decided I have a different vision and want to make a change based on everything I’ve learned from this tank.

I’m going to be building this tank into a built-in desk/cabinet in my office where my current tank is. This will get the tank out of the middle of the room and give us some space back. I think it will look more intentional and really become part of the room’s design. I was hesitant to permanently modify the room/desk for a tank but it’s going to make the actual transfer process so much easier. Plus I convinced myself and my wife that it would look really cool.

I don’t have another space in the house for a tank so this saves me having to break down my existing tank and moving to a temp setup in the basement while I rebuild the new one. Relocating the tank in the same room allows me to have both up at the same time literally 3 feet apart.

This build is going to be very simple. Centered back INT overflow into a 40 breeder sump. I plan on running 2 returns (dedicated UV pump/return), a Reefmat, and skimmer.

Tank is ordered and stand construction is underway. Progress pics attached so far. I basically had to cut out the current desk and build a cabinet style plywood base that fits exactly into the existing desk space. I braced it and screwed it into the frame so it’s very rugged and looks like it’s always been part of the desk. Still have to finish trimming, install doors, caulk, and paint. I’m still TBD on the top “canopy” design but thinking I’ll do crown molding to tie in the top and hide the tank rim/ lights.

IMG_7982.jpeg

IMG_8014.jpeg

IMG_8016.jpeg

IMG_8021.jpeg

IMG_8022.jpeg

IMG_8063.jpeg

IMG_8070.jpeg

IMG_8069.jpeg

Last edited:

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's gonna look incredible! Good job so far, very impressive! I like it when it just looks like it belongs there..

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stand looks so great. I'm amazed that you can join plywood together like that and make it so square.

What is pic #6 with what appears to be 2x4s facing up?

OP
OP
swilliams2207

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stand looks so great. I'm amazed that you can join plywood together like that and make it so square.

What is pic #6 with what appears to be 2x4s facing up?
Yes - just careful measuring and cuts with a skill saw. I used this as inspiration: https://reefbuilders.com/2022/02/14/stands-are-the-most-underrated-gear-of-aquarium-keeping-video/

Funny thing is the built-in was not perfectly square so it took a bit of finesse to fill in the gaps where the stand joined. The stand itself is perfectly square. I used shims to make it a very tight fit. It’s very rigid and likely a little overbuilt but peace of mind will help me sleep better.

That picture is of the bottom. I decided to raise the stand up off the plywood so the bottom wasn’t entirely flat. This helped with leveling and also safeguards from water getting trapped under there from a spill I suppose. I used furniture grade Douglas fir for the 2x4 bottom since they’re perfectly flat unlike standard ones.

Sorry for all the detail but figured others may have questions as well!

OP
OP
swilliams2207

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is where the challenging part comes into play. I don’t have much of a choice to place. My sump front to back. I’m using a 40 breeder. I will have a Reefmat, skimmer, and two return pumps. I’m thinking I’ll keep the mat up front for easier maintenance and fight with the returns for cleaning as needed. Luckily I can crawl back there somewhat easily to unscrew them etc. I’d love to have the two drains go straight down into the sump but I’m unsure if that will make changing roller mats a nightmare? Not sure what the lesser of two evils will be.
I’m open to any and all suggestions.

I still have to figure out a way to mount my UV. I can place it on the floor but want enough room for my ATO, and dosing containers.

IMG_8146.jpeg

IMG_8147.jpeg

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice woodwork cant wait to see this complete. I am in process on a cube as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back