Help with SPS? Burnt tips or other?

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly are you dosing with to increase nitrates?

Also, have you done any other changes since you posted here?

A jump from 0.3 to 0.6 and now to 0.7 isn’t typical nor trivial to achieve, so I want to make sure it is in fact a valid result.m, because otherwise if you decrease it now and find out it wasn’t, it could easily crash your system.

@Randy Holmes-Farley could this possibly be related to the equilibrium processes?

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What exactly are you dosing with to increase nitrates?

Also, have you done any other changes since you posted here?

A jump from 0.3 to 0.6 and now to 0.7 isn’t typical nor trivial to achieve, so I want to make sure it is in fact a valid result.m, because otherwise if you decrease it now and find out it wasn’t, it could easily crash your system.

@Randy Holmes-Farley could this possibly be related to the equilibrium processes?
Neonitro at 3.5mL/day (in my 50 gal system) so based on their equation in the back it’s just under 0.5 ppm/day.

I’m pretty sure I don’t keep messing up the test but…

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is the test kit you and the LFS are testing with?

How do you feed your fish?
Some TDO pellets. I put them into a shot glass with some tank water so they sink a bit. Tank only has 2 clowns, 3 pajama cardinals, a royal gramma, and a yellow watchman goby. I sometimes (maybe 1x every other week) feed frozen mysis

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some TDO pellets. I put them into a shot glass with some tank water so they sink a bit. Tank only has 2 clowns, 3 pajama cardinals, a royal gramma, and a yellow watchman goby. I sometimes (maybe 1x every other week) feed frozen mysis
Yeah, that’s not a lot.

What is the test kit you and the LFS are testing with?
You haven’t answered this yet.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, that’s not a lot.

You haven’t answered this yet.
Oh, my bad. I use Hannah (use for all my Params) ULR tester (fairly new) and my LFS only does water testing till 4pm and I’m in the office today so I will get it sampled tomorrow when I’m wfh. Not sure what they use

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, my bad. I use Hannah (use for all my Params) ULR tester (fairly new) and my LFS only does water testing till 4pm and I’m in the office today so I will get it sampled tomorrow when I’m wfh. Not sure what they use
Make sure the cuvette is clean, even a slight smudge can skew the results.
Testing again with a different test kit would be a good idea.

Looks like AEFW. Dip the piece to check.
I don’t see any bite marks.

One can also use a Turkey Buster to blow on the tissue and see what falls off.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Will try it again as well tonight after work.

And what should I look for? White specs? Flat worm looking things? I don’t see any bite marks either but don’t want to rule anything out.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will try it again as well tonight after work.

And what should I look for? White specs? Flat worm looking things? I don’t see any bite marks either but don’t want to rule anything out.
It is almost impossible to see AEFW with the naked eye, at least as long as they’re attached to the coral tissue.

One way to test this in place is to use a Turkey Buster, or even a small pump to blow off the tissue from different angles and watching what falls off.

You can search google for examples of how the flatworm looks like, as well as the eggs and the bite marks.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been watching this thread.. I don’t think po4 is your problem as it wouldn’t burn your tips.. burnt tips is normally from a alk spike.. how have you been keeping your big 3 inline and consistent?

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like AEFW. Dip the piece to check.

I see little white bugs on another one of my sps frags (looks healthy though besides a little damage at the tips) but they look like pods and scuttle around quickly.
It is almost impossible to see AEFW with the naked eye, at least as long as they’re attached to the coral tissue.

One way to test this in place is to use a Turkey Buster, or even a small pump to blow off the tissue from different angles and watching what falls off.

You can search google for examples of how the flatworm looks like, as well as the eggs and the bite marks.
not on this acro in question, but another one (had RTN but is stable now after dosing nitrate) has little white bugs on it. They sort of move like pods in quick short bursts. Are these a concern?
IMG_0447.jpeg
IMG_0448.jpeg

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been watching this thread.. I don’t think po4 is your problem as it wouldn’t burn your tips.. burnt tips is normally from a alk spike.. how have you been keeping your big 3 inline and consistent?
Red Sea dosing pump that doses each over a 24hr period based on my consumption I’ve calculated. I haven’t adjusted it lately for the coral growth I have had hence why the number have crept a bit lower than usual

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see little white bugs on another one of my sps frags (looks healthy though besides a little damage at the tips) but they look like pods and scuttle around quickly.

not on this acro in question, but another one (had RTN but is stable now after dosing nitrate) has little white bugs on it. They sort of move like pods in quick short bursts. Are these a concern?
IMG_0447.jpeg
IMG_0448.jpeg
There’s your problem.. interceptor should cure your tank hopefully! The black ones are like impossible to get rid of!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew there was a parasite of some sort. I am very familiar with the dried look that comes from parasite damage.

Remember, when things look bad, biology is often the culprit, not chemistry. The nutrients were fine.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0447.jpeg
IMG_0448.jpeg
Like @Troylee already mentioned, white bugs are indeed your culprit.

Never had them myself before, so my knowledge battling them is limited, but there are quite a few threads in r2r that show how others dealt with them, and I recommend reading through to get a grasp on how the treatment may look like and what would be your best approach.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I knew there was a parasite of some sort. I am very familiar with the dried look that comes from parasite damage.

Remember, when things look bad, biology is often the culprit, not chemistry. The nutrients were fine.
Glad I didn’t start nuking it with GFO after all! Still think my PO4 is high, and I’ll keep dosing nitrates a bit to try and get them up from low 3s to a little higher (I have a ton of torches that like dirty water too).

So I’m in the US, what’s the treatment for the white bugs. I’d prefer not to have to break apart/chip off rock from my scape

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back