0 Nitrates - .14 Phosphate?

• Thread starter member 99594
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

member 99594

View Badges
Hey all,

I just recently started adding livestock to my tank after a successful cycle. I still have a bit of the algae left over from the cycle and a little bit of hair algae.

a4c7c9c191fd13091f81c0d00dc45a40.jpg

I have a pair of clowns, clean up crew of various snails, cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp and a watchman goby.

I have various zoas and a Duncan coral.

About a week ago my phosphates were at .23 and nitrates 0. I then added a carbon and phosban reactor about 4 days ago.

Tested phosphate 12-15 hours later and got .18
1 day later .15 and today .12

Question is why are my nitrates 0 and phosphates so high and do I need to worry?

Or should I go grab 5 Chromis and add them? My thinking is the beneficial bacteria is easily handling the bioload. Thoughts?

Cheers!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a number of things causing this. In my experience, nitrates seem to fall faster then phosphates. You want a little nitrate in your system since they balance out phosphates. But your numbers are coming down so you are on the right track.

OP
OP
M

member 99594

View Badges
Also may not hurt to check someone else’s test kit. I remember having this issue with myATI kit and was getting super inaccurate readings. Couldn’t hurt!

I am using a Hanna checker. I think to rock maybe leaching.

Once I am back to lower po4 I will wait and see about a week if anything changes. I notice the algae is starting to die down.

OP
OP
M

member 99594

View Badges
I started with GFO but I am using a 1/4 of the recommended dosage to start. I am worried more about my Nitrates at 0. Is there a way to get those up? or will that just happen as I add livestock?

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add them. Ive used neonitrate from brightwell before but I don't anymore. I use redsea 2 part reef A & B and i feed a little more. I also use GFO and skim wet. My nitrates are around 5 while my phosphates are around 30 ppb.

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about nitrate being low with such a new tank. There is nothing in your tank right now that will be impacted by low nitrates. I would work on lowering the phosphate like you are doing. What type of rock did you use? Did you cure it or just put it in the tank. You are likely correct that the rock is leaching phosphate and causing the high amounts. I think you are on the right track and should stick with what you have been doing. I would not add more fish until the phosphate is below .05 and do your research on the chromis. Many people have reported that they will kill each other off until you have only one.

OP
OP
M

member 99594

View Badges
I wouldn't worry about nitrate being low with such a new tank. There is nothing in your tank right now that will be impacted by low nitrates. I would work on lowering the phosphate like you are doing. What type of rock did you use? Did you cure it or just put it in the tank. You are likely correct that the rock is leaching phosphate and causing the high amounts. I think you are on the right track and should stick with what you have been doing. I would not add more fish until the phosphate is below .05 and do your research on the chromis. Many people have reported that they will kill each other off until you have only one.

Thank you for the heads up.

OP
OP
M

member 99594

View Badges
You can add them. Ive used neonitrate from brightwell before but I don't anymore. I use redsea 2 part reef A & B and i feed a little more. I also use GFO and skim wet. My nitrates are around 5 while my phosphates are around 30 ppb.

My lfs mentioned Red Sea but I don’t think I am ready for dosing with nothing in the tank. My ca, mg and oh have not really moved.

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two part I was talking about is reef energy. I guess I forgot the energy part. It's a liquid vitamin and carb supplement that corals use to help them grow. I use it between feedings.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 53 74.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back