20230926_180324.jpg

00W's AIO Smorgasbord

Aquarium Profile and Equipment

What type of saltwater aquarium is this?
Mixed Reef
Total Water Volume
115
When did you start this tank?
Jun 16, 2015
What is your aquarium made of?
Glass
Aquarium Length (inches)
48
Aquarium Width (inches)
18
Aquarium Height (inches)
24
Aquarium Overflow/Drain
Drain Style (durso, herbie, etc)
Aquarium Sump
YES
Sump Water Volume
20
Aquarium Stand
Wood
Aquarium Controller
NO
Protein Skimmer
NO
Protein Skimmer Make and Model
Lifereef vs3-24
Aquarium Reactors
  1. None
Return Pump
Eheim compaction 3000
What types of equipment are you using for water flow and circulation?
  1. Powerhead
  2. Wavemaker
Water Flow and Circulation Equipment List
Jebao OW 20 x2, OW10, Jebao 1300, 2 sicce small WaveMaker.
Aquarium Lighting
  1. T5 Fluorescent
  2. Natural Sunlight
Lighting Equipment List
Odyssea T5 HO fixture
Lighting PAR and Goals
Low
Dosing Equipment Detail
None
Auto Top Off or ATO
NO
Aquarium Heating and Cooling
  1. I am using a heater or heaters
Water Temperature
77
Heating and Cooling Equipment Detail
Eheim 300w with ink bird controller

Aquarium Water Chemistry and Parameters

pH Level
8.3
Specific Gravity
1.027
Nitrate or NO3
19
Phosphate or PO4
1.12
Calcium
440
Alkalinity
7
Magnesium
1300
Salt Brand
Red sea blue bucket
Trace Element Dosing
Kent essential elements

Aquarium Natural and Mechanical Filtration

Substrate
Bare Bottom (BB)
Substrate Level
No Substrate
Live Rock
75
Live Rock Type
Unknown
Nutrient Export
  1. Protein Skimmer
  2. Filter Sock
Water Changes
YES
Water Change Details
10% every Monday

Aquarium Tank Inhabitants (fish, coral, invert etc.)

Fish List
  1. Angelfish
  2. Clownfish
  3. Surgeonfish Tang
  4. Other Predatory
Total Fish
4
Coral List
  1. Zoanthids
  2. Soft Coral
  3. Mushroom Coral
  4. Other
Total Corals
6
Invert List
  1. Anemone
  2. Snails
  3. None
Total Inverts
0
Livestock Detail
Have a trigger which is not listed.
Livestock Quarantine
  1. No Quarantine

Aquarium Nutrition (fish, coral, invert etc. feeding)

Fish Feeding Frequency
Multiple Daily Feedings
Coral Feeding Frequency
Do Not Feed Coral Directly
Fish and Coral Feeding
  1. Flake
  2. Pellet
  3. Frozen
  4. Algae Strips
  5. Other
Auto Feeder
NO

Additional Aquarium Information

What do you think are the keys to your success in reefing?
Patience
This is my best friend (aka hubby) and me. He's what keeps me going and dries my tears and keeps me laughing even in the bad times...



Screenshot_20261010_211112_Photos.jpg
He looks like someone I'd be good friends with and could probably call at midnight for help. What a beautiful couple with love in their eyes. This is the good stuff.
 
This woman has dug me out of my mental trenches more times than not. I owe her my life!
A good woman like that isn't going to invest in a sub par man. You deserve every bit of her love, and I guarantee she feels that same way about you brother.
 
Last edited:
Alright I guess it’s my time to share. We started dating my senior year and her junior year in high school. In December we will be married for 36 years and together for 41 years. She’s a nurse and for 2 years when I was either in bed at home or an hour away in University Hospital she was with me while working full time, taking care of the house, inside and out and taking care of the kids. I used to tell her to not come see me in the hospital but spend the weekend at the lake with family. She’s stubborn. She should have ditched me!
IMG_4712.jpeg
No wonder you're so confident with that one by your side! You are worth every bit of it Kevin!
 
Thomas, I will literally find you and kick you if you ever disappear like that again! Im jk, welcome back to the Smorgasbord brother! I hope life has been kind to you my friend
 
That's great Kev but I've got to admit everytime I see that name for the team I throw up in my mouth a little. It sounds like the name of a company making athletic supporters instead of the name of a team of athletics aggressively pursuing a title.
Everyone is welcome to become Braves fans! They still do the chop with the support of the local tribe they were actually celebrating with choosing of their name.

Baseball Celebrate GIF by MLB
Baseball Cheer GIF by MLB
 
With all these soul mate posts, I have to jump in.

I met my wife in Sunday school when we were 13. She was the first girl I ever loved and it was immediate. We tried to pretend like we were just best friends for our teen years, then I let her go off to college, without telling her I loved her.

I dont have Facebook so I had no communication with her for almost 15 years. Every time I saw a full moon, or heard a certain song I'd think about her. Every time I convinced myself I was interested in someone else... I thought about her.

One night I took a date to a local place for drinks and she was there. I never thought I'd see her again, but she was there that night. I later found out she was only in town for two weeks before she planned to move to Seattle.

Do I believe in fate? You're dang right I do. I had a 2 week window before I lost her again forever and I found her. Thank God.
I wouldn't be this far, and wouldn't have my boys without this lady.

Screenshot_20261011_001500_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20261011_000324_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20261011_000359_Photos.jpg
 
Shelley have you ever tried acclimating the mollies to saltwater? Im pretty sure you said you have. How difficult is it, and would you recommend them with corals?
I have had them with quite a few sps and lps. No problems so far.

As far as acclimating I go SLOW! If you get females they almost always have babies pretty quickly. The babies grow up really healthy born in saltwater. Once in the display babies seldom survive. I enjoy watching them. I have dalmation, silver and orange ones. At the clinic they get asked about the mollies all the time.
Load us up with the pics!
This is all I have now. Little guy went under the rock to hide. So I left him in the dark to settle.



IMG_6832.jpeg

IMG_6833.jpeg
 
@steveschuerger Im assuming you'll add a few bucks with the gift card. These are some fire pieces in your price range.

SPST_CCvoodoomajick.jpg
pc_rainbow.jpg
tsa_princesspeach2.jpg
SPST_RRrainbowloom.jpg



I know this one's a bit more pricey, but I'd pick that one over almost anything else for my tank.

tgc_redwing.jpg
I need, want, the last one. So pretty. 🤩
 
It had really been bugging me this week while I have been sitting at home sick that I couldn't see the tank from my recliner because of another chair. So I drained it and slowly pulled/pushed it over to beside the TV where I had the tank that I sold a while back. It only had 3 or 4 of the white cloud minnows and a few amano shrimp. I figured it was a good time to add more since it looked so empty. Lol it still kind of looks empty so I might go today and get a group of something else. 😆
Wow after all that work you deserve a few more friends in it. I am sure most PetCos's are open by 1100 on Sundays. Photos please..

I gave away my 140. To a guy in my yoga class. This is what he did with it. Loved this tank and really glad he does also
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7749.mov
    8.7 MB
Ever since adding the long spine urchin my cardinal has been obsessed with it from following it around. I think it wants to empty a mouthful of fry into if it ever gets a chance.
IMG_3454.jpeg
I love when things like this happen. So kewl
 
I have had them with quite a few sps and lps. No problems so far.

As far as acclimating I go SLOW! If you get females they almost always have babies pretty quickly. The babies grow up really healthy born in saltwater. Once in the display babies seldom survive. I enjoy watching them. I have dalmation, silver and orange ones. At the clinic they get asked about the mollies all the time.

This is all I have now. Little guy went under the rock to hide. So I left him in the dark to settle.



IMG_6832.jpeg

IMG_6833.jpeg
The interesting thing about Mollies is that they are found in many water salinities in the wild with a subspecies of Sailfin that lives in south eastern salt marshes and estuaries with occasional forays into tidal areas.
 
I went with one of my favorite fish for the last group to add to the 40 gallon. I went with 14 neon tetras. I know they are super common but I just love the way they school/shoal. I will get a video for you guys later today.
While I love the neons I like the cardinals better. But they are harder to find. And the neons can live a long time. Waiting for photos.
 
I have had them with quite a few sps and lps. No problems so far.

As far as acclimating I go SLOW! If you get females they almost always have babies pretty quickly. The babies grow up really healthy born in saltwater. Once in the display babies seldom survive. I enjoy watching them. I have dalmation, silver and orange ones. At the clinic they get asked about the mollies all the time.

This is all I have now. Little guy went under the rock to hide. So I left him in the dark to settle.



IMG_6832.jpeg

IMG_6833.jpeg
Thanks for the knowledge! I may very well go this route in the 50 vs a tang for algae control.
 
I went back and looked at the pictures of my collected, hurricane salt water. And I realized, it looks like absolute coffee! What the heck was I thinking? Even the gulf itself looks black 😆

Screenshot_20261011_030119_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20261011_030134_Gallery.jpg


However, as soon as I dumped the water into the tank, almost every coral extended or responded positively. The scolys and dendros lost their minds!

20261010_183723.jpg


I realize it was a bit risky, and maybe I put something in there that will pop up later, but right now the tank looks wonderful.

Screenshot_20261011_030208_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20261011_030214_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20261011_030224_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20261011_030239_Gallery.jpg


I have fought cyano, GHA, aiptasia, extremely high P04, and Brown jelly disease in the last 4 months alone. The tank is now free from all of those issues.

Screenshot_20261011_030318_Gallery.jpg



These were my methods:
Cyano: Microbacter CLEAN and Coral snow
Aiptasia: Berghia
GHA: Sea Hare. Corrected long term by using NSW for water changes
P04: NSW. That was the only change made. The volume of water changed was actually cut by 50%
BJD: Removed affected corals. I did not want to use cipro in case it would have an effect on the newly established, and hard earned microbiome
 
Cleo our first kitty
1791703091826.jpeg

Mika
1791705040021.jpeg

Mika our second kitty and my wife. Sadly , the day we said our farewells to her
1791702746706.jpeg
Looks like a lot of love in these photos to me Steve. Sadly not all experience that. What a Blessing.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new