20230926_180324.jpg

00W's AIO Smorgasbord

Aquarium Profile and Equipment

What type of saltwater aquarium is this?
Mixed Reef
Total Water Volume
115
When did you start this tank?
Jun 16, 2015
What is your aquarium made of?
Glass
Aquarium Length (inches)
48
Aquarium Width (inches)
18
Aquarium Height (inches)
24
Aquarium Overflow/Drain
Drain Style (durso, herbie, etc)
Aquarium Sump
YES
Sump Water Volume
20
Aquarium Stand
Wood
Aquarium Controller
NO
Protein Skimmer
NO
Protein Skimmer Make and Model
Lifereef vs3-24
Aquarium Reactors
  1. None
Return Pump
Eheim compaction 3000
What types of equipment are you using for water flow and circulation?
  1. Powerhead
  2. Wavemaker
Water Flow and Circulation Equipment List
Jebao OW 20 x2, OW10, Jebao 1300, 2 sicce small WaveMaker.
Aquarium Lighting
  1. T5 Fluorescent
  2. Natural Sunlight
Lighting Equipment List
Odyssea T5 HO fixture
Lighting PAR and Goals
Low
Dosing Equipment Detail
None
Auto Top Off or ATO
NO
Aquarium Heating and Cooling
  1. I am using a heater or heaters
Water Temperature
77
Heating and Cooling Equipment Detail
Eheim 300w with ink bird controller

Aquarium Water Chemistry and Parameters

pH Level
8.3
Specific Gravity
1.027
Nitrate or NO3
19
Phosphate or PO4
1.12
Calcium
440
Alkalinity
7
Magnesium
1300
Salt Brand
Red sea blue bucket
Trace Element Dosing
Kent essential elements

Aquarium Natural and Mechanical Filtration

Substrate
Bare Bottom (BB)
Substrate Level
No Substrate
Live Rock
75
Live Rock Type
Unknown
Nutrient Export
  1. Protein Skimmer
  2. Filter Sock
Water Changes
YES
Water Change Details
10% every Monday

Aquarium Tank Inhabitants (fish, coral, invert etc.)

Fish List
  1. Angelfish
  2. Clownfish
  3. Surgeonfish Tang
  4. Other Predatory
Total Fish
4
Coral List
  1. Zoanthids
  2. Soft Coral
  3. Mushroom Coral
  4. Other
Total Corals
6
Invert List
  1. Anemone
  2. Snails
  3. None
Total Inverts
0
Livestock Detail
Have a trigger which is not listed.
Livestock Quarantine
  1. No Quarantine

Aquarium Nutrition (fish, coral, invert etc. feeding)

Fish Feeding Frequency
Multiple Daily Feedings
Coral Feeding Frequency
Do Not Feed Coral Directly
Fish and Coral Feeding
  1. Flake
  2. Pellet
  3. Frozen
  4. Algae Strips
  5. Other
Auto Feeder
NO

Additional Aquarium Information

What do you think are the keys to your success in reefing?
Patience
Im listening to The "Tarkus" album by Emerson Lake and Palmer, tonight.


Good stuff. Earlier when I was putzing around the tank and doing the feeding I was listening to The Hu .
 
Good stuff. Earlier when I was putzing around the tank and doing the feeding I was listening to The Hu .
That's good vibe music. Perfect for working on a project!
 
I did a 5 gallon NSW swap today. Everything already looked great, but this shot of "Crack water" gave the corals and fish a boost of life!

This pic sux, but the dendros are always out now!

Screenshot_20261004_015048_Gallery.jpg
20261003_184500.jpg
20261003_174113.jpg
20261002_161715.jpg
Screenshot_20261001_235548_Gallery.jpg

Thanks Steve! I haven't been posting as many pics since the Aiptasia-GHA Wars of 2026, but seeing you post often after your move has inspired me to do so. Things are looking better than ever as far as existing corals and the reef itself.
Wow they are looking great. And love your dendros. Are you trying to keep your nitrates, phosphate. alkalinity and others at certain numbers? I have had bad things happen when mine bottomed out.
 
Ya, mine is looking much better and I go some good advice on flow patterning from Adam at PetCo. He noted that my flow was really low and I’m working on that. I’m also trying to up the lights again, slowly. The big Goni is apparently not very happy where it is on the rock in front. If thing don’t change soon I’m going to try another spot , probably on the edge and on the sand.
I also ordered another batch of copepods from marketplace. Trying to get the biology of the tank more vibrant. Ice been adding the Microbacter 7 weekly as well and when I remember I add phyto nightly.
After almost 4 days I still have all my Peppermints so I’m assuming Mantis died before making trip to new location.
Sorry about the Mantis. Now we'll never know if you could have caught it! 🤣 Thanks for sharing what is working in your tank. I won the dino battle but am just keeping algae and cyano at bay with dosing ammonium. If not my nitrates bottom out.
 
Wow they are looking great. And love your dendros. Are you trying to keep your nitrates, phosphate. alkalinity and others at certain numbers? I have had bad things happen when mine bottomed out.
Thanks Shelley!

Yep, Im broadcast feeding the corals a bit more to keep PO4 and N03 at appropriate levels. Im also about to start dosing ammonium bicarbonate and urea to feed the corals in nitrogen form. This will raise N03 a bit as needed and feed the corals more directly than having to depend on "dirty water" to support their health. The only reason to trouble oneself with nutritious water is to feed the corals. This approach (along with bacterial feeding) will give me the ability to give the nutrients to the corals and not the water.
 
Last edited:
@code4 I used coral snow too. I would mix the two and let the snow soak up the bacteria. It eradicated that cyano for me. The snow collected all of it and just feed the bacteria to the corals.
 
October POTM is accepting submissions. Theme is “Spooky”
This is the one I posted
1791071077377.jpeg
I must ask, just what is this beauty? And where can I get one?
Hey everyone. Just a quick hello before I hopefully go back to sleep for a while. Looks like my peppermints have been earning their keep. I don’t see any larger aiptasia in the tank today.
Fantastic!
I keep telling everyone about the peppermint shrimp !
I hear they must be true Peppermint shrimp and young ones. How does one know they are truly Peppermint Shrimp?
 
Wow, I bet Red Cross is always knocking at your door!
Nope, I can't donate. Or I couldn't. First I didn't weigh enough. Then I was in Europe when there was tainted meat sold. Mad Cow. You'd think I would know by now!
 
@code4 I used coral snow too. I would mix the two and let the snow soak up the bacteria. It eradicated that cyano for me. The snow collected all of it and just feed the bacteria to the corals.
Forgot about this. Will start tomorrow. Thanks
 
I must ask, just what is this beauty? And where can I get one?

Fantastic!

I hear they must be true Peppermint shrimp and young ones. How does one know they are truly Peppermint Shrimp?
The taste.Lick them. If they taste like a starlite mint they’re proper peppermints.
Seriously though most of the peppermints sold are wurdmannii or boggesi. Those are safe. I got mine at PetCo .
 
Forgot about this. Will start tomorrow. Thanks
Of course my friend! It was the beginning of a turning point for me. I still use it, even though the cyano is long gone.
 
The taste.Lick them. If they taste like a starlite mint they’re proper peppermints.
Seriously though most of the peppermints sold are wurdmannii or boggesi. Those are safe. I got mine at PetCo .
I've learned that Petco is an excellent source for true pepps.
 
I've learned that Petco is an excellent source for true pepps.
It’s still hit or miss. There are 3 PetCo in uber range and I go to the farthest due to the other 2 not having good saltwater sections. By the way PetCo sells the water I’ve been using although for a few more dollars.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new