20230926_180324.jpg

00W's AIO Smorgasbord

Aquarium Profile and Equipment

What type of saltwater aquarium is this?
Mixed Reef
Total Water Volume
115
When did you start this tank?
Jun 16, 2015
What is your aquarium made of?
Glass
Aquarium Length (inches)
48
Aquarium Width (inches)
18
Aquarium Height (inches)
24
Aquarium Overflow/Drain
Drain Style (durso, herbie, etc)
Aquarium Sump
YES
Sump Water Volume
20
Aquarium Stand
Wood
Aquarium Controller
NO
Protein Skimmer
NO
Protein Skimmer Make and Model
Lifereef vs3-24
Aquarium Reactors
  1. None
Return Pump
Eheim compaction 3000
What types of equipment are you using for water flow and circulation?
  1. Powerhead
  2. Wavemaker
Water Flow and Circulation Equipment List
Jebao OW 20 x2, OW10, Jebao 1300, 2 sicce small WaveMaker.
Aquarium Lighting
  1. T5 Fluorescent
  2. Natural Sunlight
Lighting Equipment List
Odyssea T5 HO fixture
Lighting PAR and Goals
Low
Dosing Equipment Detail
None
Auto Top Off or ATO
NO
Aquarium Heating and Cooling
  1. I am using a heater or heaters
Water Temperature
77
Heating and Cooling Equipment Detail
Eheim 300w with ink bird controller

Aquarium Water Chemistry and Parameters

pH Level
8.3
Specific Gravity
1.027
Nitrate or NO3
19
Phosphate or PO4
1.12
Calcium
440
Alkalinity
7
Magnesium
1300
Salt Brand
Red sea blue bucket
Trace Element Dosing
Kent essential elements

Aquarium Natural and Mechanical Filtration

Substrate
Bare Bottom (BB)
Substrate Level
No Substrate
Live Rock
75
Live Rock Type
Unknown
Nutrient Export
  1. Protein Skimmer
  2. Filter Sock
Water Changes
YES
Water Change Details
10% every Monday

Aquarium Tank Inhabitants (fish, coral, invert etc.)

Fish List
  1. Angelfish
  2. Clownfish
  3. Surgeonfish Tang
  4. Other Predatory
Total Fish
4
Coral List
  1. Zoanthids
  2. Soft Coral
  3. Mushroom Coral
  4. Other
Total Corals
6
Invert List
  1. Anemone
  2. Snails
  3. None
Total Inverts
0
Livestock Detail
Have a trigger which is not listed.
Livestock Quarantine
  1. No Quarantine

Aquarium Nutrition (fish, coral, invert etc. feeding)

Fish Feeding Frequency
Multiple Daily Feedings
Coral Feeding Frequency
Do Not Feed Coral Directly
Fish and Coral Feeding
  1. Flake
  2. Pellet
  3. Frozen
  4. Algae Strips
  5. Other
Auto Feeder
NO

Additional Aquarium Information

What do you think are the keys to your success in reefing?
Patience
Cats are so entertaining . Our poor kitty is baffling the vets with her ears. No mites Treated for yeast. Has some black gunk in them. She is miserable. Going to have her take a little nap so they can get a better look inside. Two vets have looked at her.
Good luck. I hope it isn’t anything too serious.
 
You're one too Steve!? Im a Gemini, no wonder we are straight up boys! Sorry, my south mouth got in the way there. I mean we're men, but we're friends. 😆
My wife was Gemini lol
 
Us Libras rock! But not around the clock anymore. Gotten too old for that .
I still try though. Getting to old to be crawling around working on wood floors that's for sure. Picked out my own birthday gift. Great for a little light reading. 🤣



IMG_6802.jpeg
 
Are you totally replacing water changes with it. Or as a supplement?

We do rock. 😉

Loved it. I really like pajama cardinals. Might give one a try. The clinic had a large one.
She was my cycle fish! That is the hardest little fish and she is always out popping pods off the glass! 10/10 recommend.

As for the NSW, I was doing two 10 gallon changes on my 40 gallon tank every two weeks with the salt mix. (Aquavitro Salintiy) I do biweekly 5 gallon changes with the NSW. It will, of course switch me over to a completely NSW tank if I keep doing that. If my math is correct, I'm close to a 100% swap now. My nutrients went down so fast it blew my mind. Im at the point where Im about to start dosing nitrates in the form of ammonium bicarbonate.

It can absolutely be treated as a dosing rather than a total swap, though.
 
Good luck. I hope it isn’t anything too serious.
Thanks. She means everything to Rocky. She goes back Wednesday morning. They spend every morning and evening together. I think I am a little jealous of her. 🤗
 
I still try though. Getting to old to be crawling around working on wood floors that's for sure. Picked out my own birthday gift. Great for a little light reading. 🤣



IMG_6802.jpeg
I still have yet to read a book book my folks got me years ago from my favorite paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould. Called The Structure of Evolutionary Theory. Was thrilled to get it but it’s huge and intimidating. I’ll try once again sometime in the near future
 
I still have yet to read a book book my folks got me years ago from my favorite paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould. Called The Structure of Evolutionary Theory. Was thrilled to get it but it’s huge and intimidating. I’ll try once again sometime in the near future
The best reads in the end , are the ones that challenge you like that!
 
She was my cycle fish! That is the hardest little fish and she is always out popping pods off the glass! 10/10 recommend.

As for the NSW, I was doing two 10 gallon changes on my 40 gallon tank every two weeks with the salt mix. (Aquavitro Salintiy) I do biweekly 5 gallon changes with the NSW. It will, of course switch me over to a completely NSW tank if I keep doing that. If my math is correct, I'm close to a 100% swap now. My nutrients went down so fast it blew my mind. Im at the point where Im about to start dosing nitrates in the form of ammonium bicarbonate.

It can absolutely be treated as a dosing rather than a total swap, though.
I will try a 50/50 swap at first. I dose for nitrates also. I might wait until they are higher before trying this. I have had trouble getting them detectable. Finally are. I split the dose up to twice daily. 10 ml total daily. Or I can use the NSW saltwater and continue to dose the ammonium bicarbonate for the nitrate.
 
Well I have a wonderful surprise coming tomorrow. Rock is sending me some frags of his amazing corals! He saw everything I lost and decided to help me fill it back up. What a friend, I love this guy!
The package arrives tomorrow, and I'll have some awesome pics for you guys. :)

Thank you @Rocks reef
 
I will try a 50/50 swap at first. I dose for nitrates also. I might wait until they are higher before trying this. I have had trouble getting them detectable. Finally are. I split the dose up to twice daily. 10 ml total daily. Or I can use the NSW saltwater and continue to dose the ammonium bicarbonate for the nitrate.
Yes I think ammonia bicarbonate and urea are the way to go. The corals metabolize them much easier, and you can adjust the dose to almost the .5 ppm of N03 yield. It's just a more efficient nutrient than your standard nitrate.
 
I still have yet to read a book book my folks got me years ago from my favorite paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould. Called The Structure of Evolutionary Theory. Was thrilled to get it but it’s huge and intimidating. I’ll try once again sometime in the near future
Pick a time of day to read for 10 minutes and see where that goes. I have a few books that I need to also.
 
Well I have a wonderful surprise coming tomorrow. Rock is sending me some frags of his amazing corals! He saw everything I lost and decided to help me fill it back up. What a friend, I love this guy!
The package arrives tomorrow, and I'll have some awesome pics for you guys. :)

Thank you @Rocks reef
That is so nice. 😊
 
The best reads in the end , are the ones that challenge you like that!
Most of the material from I’ve read was for an audience not necessarily well versed in paleontology and evolutionary theory and was, well, easier to digest. I’ve read most of his published material but this last is important because it’s the cu ln mutation of his life’s work. He was the head of paleontology at Harvard university, died early from cancer at 60 odd yrs . Incredible individual . If you like reading about science and how it connects to the rest of ourselves you should look him up.
 
Yes I think ammonia bicarbonate and urea are the way to go. The corals metabolize them much easier, and you can adjust the dose to almost the .5 ppm of N03 yield. It's just a more efficient nutrient than your standard nitrate.
I researched for a week to come to this same conclusion years ago. Where were you hiding? 🫣
 
Most of the material from I’ve read was for an audience not necessarily well versed in paleontology and evolutionary theory and was, well, easier to digest. I’ve read most of his published material but this last is important because it’s the cu ln mutation of his life’s work. He was the head of paleontology at Harvard university, died early from cancer at 60 odd yrs . Incredible individual . If you like reading about science and how it connects to the rest of ourselves you should look him up.
It might blow my mind up. Sometimes I wait for the movie.
 
It might blow my mind up. Sometimes I wait for the movie.
Start with his first books. Meant for intelligent consumption but are easy reads. The chapters are from essays he wrote to the science journal and are designed with the layperson in mind.
Hens teeth and Horses Toes
The Pandas Thumb
Those are good jump off points. There’s a few more in that series but those are good easy to digest starters.
 
Most of the material from I’ve read was for an audience not necessarily well versed in paleontology and evolutionary theory and was, well, easier to digest. I’ve read most of his published material but this last is important because it’s the cu ln mutation of his life’s work. He was the head of paleontology at Harvard university, died early from cancer at 60 odd yrs . Incredible individual . If you like reading about science and how it connects to the rest of ourselves you should look him up.
That's my wheelhouse for sure. Im love historical science that still applies today. I think that's why I love older music so much.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new