1/2 hp chiller jbj

phongluc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about running a 1/2 hp chiller from the pan world 150ps then from the chiller back up to the tank the system is a 230 with 40g sump can anyone let me know if this is ok or do I have to run separate pump for the chiller or do I need stronger return pump thank you

Reefmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run it that way. I don't see a problem with that. Not sure if the pump is strong enough. You'd have to look that up

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Insufficient information!

What is the recommended flow rate for this chiller? I think it's 480-800 gph.

What does your plumbing look like....pipe size, elbows, unions, vertical rise, horizontal run? You need to calculate head loss. I assumed the following to calculate head loss, as an example:

1 inch pipe
4 elbows
1 union
4 ft vertical rise
1.5 ft horizontal run

and using a head loss calculator (and picking Iwaki 55RT....virtually same pump (pan world wasn't an option)), I got a flow rate of 1024 gph. With this example, that flow rate would be too high.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
P

phongluc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That help a lot thank you very much the problem is I already have the pan world pump don't want to go get other iwaki try to save little money I think it about the same as you list as example my main concern is if the flow rate will be strong enough when it get to the tank I have a really strong circulation flow any more advice would be appreciated thanks

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, now I'm seeing the picture. How about tee'ing off the return and sending that line to the chiller and have a valve on that line to meter down the flow through the chiller.....and also run that chiller return to your DT....so you'd now have two return lines going to the DT.....one chillin' and one not. :D

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back