1" ball check valve for return.

JCSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know of a good 1" double union ball check valve for my return so it doesn't back siphon? Where can I buy?? Does Home Depot or lowes carry something like this??

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think a big hardware store would carry something like it or at least something they could definitely order. Are you worried that a siphon break hole would get clogged and you'll have a flood?

OP
OP
JCSReefing

JCSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As if now I have a small siphon hole but for some reason it still back siphons at times. Also the idea of having a hole in the return even though small I'm still losing pressure from the return pump no?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Your best bet is to raise the point of return so your sump can handle the back drain.

I have used wye check valves and found them pretty good, but only when you maintain them. they aren't double union valves, but those can be bought too.

George Fisher Wye Check Valve - Bulk Reef Supply

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just re-read the question, and I've never seen a ball check valve combination before.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
As if now I have a small siphon hole but for some reason it still back siphons at times. Also the idea of having a hole in the return even though small I'm still losing pressure from the return pump no?

As long as the water is getting back to the display tank, what does it matter?

OP
OP
JCSReefing

JCSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WhT do you mean raise the point of return? Ya mean put the loc line nozzle closer to the surface of the tank water??

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
WhT do you mean raise the point of return? Ya mean put the loc line nozzle closer to the surface of the tank water??

Yes.
Then when the power goes out ( or you shut it off), when the water starts to drain back to the sump the return acts as it's own siphon break.

h2pvnus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No check valve. Proper sump design can handle amount of water when pump off. Tryst me check valve still leak water and if you not check. Flood

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check valves fail, they are a false sense of security and not intended for a reef tank.
With a properly designed return and sump ther is absolutely no need for one. Place your return close to the surface and only a very small, easily calculated amount of water can possible backsiphon until the siphon breaks and the flow stops. Thiss called an air gap and is the best form of backflow prevention known to man and cannot be defeated. No check valves to fail and no drilled holes to clean or fail, zero maintenance and foolproof.

In my 100G mixed reef, the LocLines are 3/4" below the surface so no noise or splashing. When the power goes off it siphons a maximum of 3.5 gallons back to the sump, 18"x60"x 0.75"/231=3.5 gallons. My 30G sump normally runs with about 15-20 gallons in it so can contain an extra 3.5 gallons no sweat.

Last edited:

acanaddict1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had 0 problems with check valve made for our tanks. Thats exact problem with home depot check valve they are designed for much higher pressure learned that the hard way

Back