1" sandbed or 4-6" sandbed

LittleReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 70 gallon tank and was wondering how deep my sand should be. I've heard good things about both.

VanGogh121

Melba Toast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid the DSB like the plague, there is no benefit that could overcome the negative possabilities.

Mariner

NARC Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are probably as many opinions on this as there are reefers, especially if you add in the bare bottom option. Personally, I've always gone with shallow sandbeds (less than one inch). You get the advantage of looks, a breeding ground for good bacteria and pods, and it's easily replaced (I replace a section at a time every few months.) You don't get the full biofiltering capabalities of a DSB, but you also don't have the risk associated with a nutrient sink.
FWIW,
Mariner

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid the DSB like the plague, there is no benefit that could overcome the negative possabilities.

Just out of curiosity have you ever run one? I've been in this hobby for several years, and never run anything but DSBs, and I've never had any issues with them. In fact my nitrates are almost always zero, and I constantly read posts from other reefers about how its impossible to get zero nitrates in a reef system. I've also seen lots of comments from lots of people (perhaps you are not one of them) about how bad DSBs are, and most of them have never actually tried one themselves, they are simply passing on the "wisdom" of the internet.

That said, there are benefits and negatives to all the various types of sandbeds. OP What is it that you hope to accomplish with your reef?

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not run a dsb in the display just due to shear lazyness i did setup a remote DSB in this setup in case in needs to be removed refreshed at some point it can be taken offline to stir/remove the sand without a release of hydrogen sulfide into the main system.

I run a large skimmer and will be adding a second recirc pump where it will be rated for a 1250gal tank. I also run GFO and cheato. I am still a proportional of DSB's but am leaning more toward keeping out of the main display if you plan on keeping the tank up for a VERY long time.

Last edited:

VanGogh121

Melba Toast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity have you ever run one? I've been in this hobby for several years, and never run anything but DSBs, and I've never had any issues with them. In fact my nitrates are almost always zero, and I constantly read posts from other reefers about how its impossible to get zero nitrates in a reef system. I've also seen lots of comments from lots of people (perhaps you are not one of them) about how bad DSBs are, and most of them have never actually tried one themselves, they are simply passing on the "wisdom" of the internet.

Yes I have and I have seen personally (With wet hands)seen 3 tanks destroyed by the DSB, I finally went Barebottom when doing a tank upgrade about 5 years ago and never looked back. (I chucked the sand)

Have you seen what a stirred DSB (hydrogen sulfide) will do to a tank? Why take a chance? Why give advice that in the long run could hurt this persons animals?

Last edited:

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have and I have seen personally (With wet hands)seen 3 tanks destroyed by the DSB, I finally went Barebottom when doing a tank upgrade about 5 years ago and never looked back. (I chucked the sand)

Have you seen what a stirred DSB (hydrogen sulfide) will do to a tank? Why take a chance? Why give advice that in the long run could hurt this persons animals?

Why would you stir a DSB? DSBs are self maintaining - thats the part that most people miss. They think they need to get in there and mess around and then things get messed up. As for "coulds", there are lots of them, thats why it is important that a person truly educate themselves on what they are doing and trying to accomplish.

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go shallow in the display, the nitrate chain backs up due to surface area for bacteria to convert nitrate to nitrogen, but this bacteria only exists in the top centimeter or two of the sand bed, below that are other types of bacteria that are feeding on ammonia and nitrite, which are converted way more rapidly, if you want a good base for a bacteria driven system use a lot of live rock and bioballs, and DSB the fuge. Add plant like chaeto and mangroves to compete with undesireable algaes and cyano for nitrate, and phosphate.

VanGogh121

Melba Toast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you stir a DSB?

Ever had a power head get knocked off a magnet? Have you ever got board with your rockwork and decide to redo? Added a fish that likes to burrow?

There are many ways in which the bed could get stirred. It is not a chance I'm willing to take, and I could not, I good faith, give advise that could potentially destroy a tank.

Take from it what you will...

Mariner

NARC Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I told you there were lots of opinions on this! Thanks guys for making me look all knowing! j/k
Hey LittleReefer, I saw your other thread. Welcome to reefing in Alabama. I'm in Athens, AL.
Don't fret your sandbed choice too much. Do your research, consider what the guys in this thread have said, make a choice and make it work. I've seen tanks from BB to DSB work and I've seen them crash.
good luck!
Mariner

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done both and prefer to have a SSB in the display and a DSB remotely that can be easily changed out when needed. I personally run the DSB in my refugium.

FugeLit.jpg

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever had a power head get knocked off a magnet? Have you ever got board with your rockwork and decide to redo? Added a fish that likes to burrow?

There are many ways in which the bed could get stirred. It is not a chance I'm willing to take, and I could not, I good faith, give advise that could potentially destroy a tank.

Take from it what you will...

Again, not trying to be a jerk, but yes I have had a powerhead stir up the DSB, and had not issues. I've redone rockwork in tanks with long term DSBs with no issues. And I've added and set-up tanks for burrowing fish, including diamond gobies, shrimp gobies, and engineering gobies with DSBs without any issues. In fact, some species of fish should not be kept without a DSB.

I understand your reasoning and your statements, I just don't agree with your initial statement :bigsmile:. Regardless, I did/do enjoy the debate.

LOL, I told you there were lots of opinions on this! Thanks guys for making me look all knowing! j/k
Hey LittleReefer, I saw your other thread. Welcome to reefing in Alabama. I'm in Athens, AL.
Don't fret your sandbed choice too much. Do your research, consider what the guys in this thread have said, make a choice and make it work. I've seen tanks from BB to DSB work and I've seen them crash.
good luck!
Mariner

Indeed, any tank can crash for a variety of reasons. Educate yourself on your options, determine what it is you hope to accomplish, and be aware of the hazards and risk that the small part of the ocean you have decided to establish in your home faces.

As both Mariner and Wicked Demon have pointed out, there are lots of options, all with their advantages and disadvantages. If you know what your ultimate goal is, that may help you in making your decision.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done both and prefer to have a SSB in the display and a DSB remotely that can be easily changed out when needed. I personally run the DSB in my refugium.

FugeLit.jpg

Sara that is a nice set-up, I assume that you you have your fuge set-up in the basement under your DT?

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your refugium! Very nice!

OP
OP
L

LittleReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha I started a little argument.
I was told by someone earlier to do the deep sandbed. Im not using a sump, just a hang on skimmer.
I know the shallow bed looks better but I'm not sure which one will be easier for a 1st tank. Maybe I'll do a deep in the refuge. There'd obviously be more room with a shallower sandbed. Something to think about.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha I started a little argument.
I was told by someone earlier to do the deep sandbed. Im not using a sump, just a hang on skimmer.
I know the shallow bed looks better but I'm not sure which one will be easier for a 1st tank. Maybe I'll do a deep in the refuge. There'd obviously be more room with a shallower sandbed. Something to think about.

Controversial discourse between two educated individuals is never an argument, just a spirited exchange of ideas.

Thanks. That is actually the fuge for my display tank that is also in the basement. The pvc you see going up was for my other system that ran the upstairs tank that came down last year.

Here's my basement tank thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/f52/sarabs-268g-envision-build-17812.html

Cool, I'll check that out. I love basement set-ups. Wish I had had the foresight to set mine up that way.

FishyFarr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up my first tank and did the research on all three options BB, SSB and DSB I chose DSB because I liked some of the burrowing fishies hehe. I also noticed that if you have flow going across your DSB then you really increase your nitrate reduction and overall health of your tank.
I think you should look at what fish you may or may not get. If you dont like the burrowers then why would you go DSB. I have just got my first scooter blennie and the pods love the DSB and the snails keep it circulated and are fun to watch popping out of the sand LOL

I know not the best way to make a choice but it worked for me.
oh and my nitrates are at 0 consistently (I also use hiatt filtration which helps that a lot as well)

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda wish I would have made my sand bed deeper. It is only about 3 inches thick. I do have a friend who plumbed a 32 gallon brute trash can to his tank as a fuge. The sand bed in it is close to 30" deep. He threw close to 200 nassarius snails in it. The tank has been up for 2 years the drum has been up for a year now. He has great growth and has not had a problem with it at.

Last edited:

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back