Removing Live Rock

TunaTuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 6 gallon macroalgae aquarium with two good size live rocks one live rock is fully covered in GSP and the other in various macro I no longer want to keep the GSP covered live rock. My plan is to remove it and have a Sandbed with more planted macro with a good size maxima clam replacing the live rock. I’m worried about removing the rock how would I do this and is this a good idea. my tank is one year old. All parameters are stable.

OP
OP
T

TunaTuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tiny arms….kidding, The problem isn’t taking it out…what harm could this possibly do to my tank taking out live rock that I’m not planning to put back in.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tiny arms….kidding, The problem isn’t taking it out…what harm could this possibly do to my tank taking out live rock that I’m not planning to put back in.
Nothing, you can take it out without issue. It will reduce some of the bacterial colony (basically everything in and on the surface of the rock), but you should still be good with the other. The addition of sand will also give more surface area for bacteria. However, if you're really concerned with it, you can add some biomedia or sponge into your filtration. I don' know how you're going to keep a Maxima in a 6 gallon tank, they like extreme lighting and get much larger than that tank can fit...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 71 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back