1 TDS after 6 stage BRS unit what to do?

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Still getting 1 TDS on my meter that is properly calibrated. It says 0 according to the meter in the BRS RO/DI unit...but with a handheld meter it’s 1.

Should I add another DI resin to get it to 0? Or something els?

Thanks

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the TDS before the resin?
Is the resin a refillable, or manufactured cartridge? Is the resin cartridge mounted horizontal or vertical? Never mind, I checked BRS
Sounds like meter to me, especially if this is a new unit or new resin cartridge/refill.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the TDS before the resin?
Is the resin a refillable, or manufactured cartridge? Is the resin cartridge mounted horizontal or vertical? Never mind, I checked BRS
Sounds like meter to me, especially if this is a new unit or new resin cartridge/refill.

The water coming into DI is 7-8. The handheld (more accurate meter) says 1. That’s what has me worried. The TDS meter in unit say 0.

Would like 0 water. Thanks

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will always get residue from a hand held. Soap or dirt is what it is picking up. Your water is fine

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 7-8 TDS into a dual-stage DI, there's very little chance anything is actually coming out of there.
Using a handheld would imply you're measuring in a vessel, cup or storage tank of some kind. The 1 TDS is probably normal impurities from the surrounding air, dust that's settled into the water, or any sort of residue that might have contaminated the cup you are measuring in.

The in-line meter has the advantage of being directly in the flow, where no contaminants have been able to get to.

OP
OP
N

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 7-8 TDS into a dual-stage DI, there's very little chance anything is actually coming out of there.
Using a handheld would imply you're measuring in a vessel, cup or storage tank of some kind. The 1 TDS is probably normal impurities from the surrounding air, dust that's settled into the water, or any sort of residue that might have contaminated the cup you are measuring in.

The in-line meter has the advantage of being directly in the flow, where no contaminants have been able to get to.

Ok.

So what storage container is everyone using? I’m using Rubbermaid Brute trashcan and it seems to leach something because my water will go to 8-12 if it sits in it?!?

Thanks

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.

So what storage container is everyone using? I’m using Rubbermaid Brute trashcan and it seems to leach something because my water will go to 8-12 if it sits in it?!?

Thanks

It's not necessarily leeching. It's not hermetically sealed, it's gonna pick up contaminants, and they'll be cumulative over time unless you drain it completely. I empty mine periodically when it gets above 10 TDS, just give it a quick wipe and swish out with some RO. That usually knocks me back down to 1-2 TDS for quite a while. Longer if I keep it covered, and am careful about what I use if I'm scooping water out.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back