10 Gallon Sexy Shrimp Softy Reef

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is starting to look good, before I get even further ahead I should have a build thread. I started this tank in February 2018. This is my 3rd time keeping sexy shrimp. I had them in a 2 gallon pico reef and they were able to do enough damage to some corals since most things were just 1-2 polyps. I briefly had an anemone cube tank that had sexy shrimp as well. Both previous times they had eggs a lot, I figured I'll do a tank around them and hopefully get a chance to raise them. Interestingly enough since I am now ready to make an effort to raise them I've only seen eggs a couple of times. I actually have a tank almost ready to relocate egg carrying females and brine shrimp eggs in my fridge. I suppose I should put some water in it and get it going so next time I see eggs I'll just net her and leave her in the tank until she releases.

The big reason I went this route was I thought they'd make a good species as a first try at captive breeding, I may or may not get there but regardless this has turned into a fun little reef over the past 6 months.

This is also quite a budget reef, if this was my main tank I would probably have more on it but at this point there really isn't much need for more other then maybe a second powerhead. There are just 3 things plugged into this tank.

Equipment :

Standard 10 gallon tank
micmol Aqua Air AA-300 - I had my doubts about this cheapo light but it grows soft corals without issue includes ramp up and ramp down features and a built in timer all for less then $100 cnd. It's nice looking and low profile but under most circumstances any standard black box is probably a better buy. I just wanted to try this.

koralia nano powerhead - I forget which model its either the 240gph or the one up from that.
random heater I had laying around and that's it. I originally had a small hob filter with a tiny bit of carbon, I would actually prefer to still have this but the sexy shrimp would end up inside the filter frequently and I did not want to lose any this way.

Livestock :
5? lbs of live rock. I have a mess of a frag tank which has tons of live rock I just want to keep live. This was not lit so it was ghost white when I put it in however it had been live for some time. A super shallow sand bed. My reef is bare bottom but I decided to add some sand here. I don't like all my tanks to be the same.

Sexy Shrimp Thor amboinensis - I started with 11 and have 8 now. One just died, one disappeared and one died a while back.

The only livestock I bought for this tank was 2 flower anemones, one also died but the other is doing great. The remaining livestock comes from my other tanks. I have decided to keep this tank soft corals only. My main tank is a mixed reef and the reason it's mixed is because I like almost every coral. I want a themed tank. The bending of softies only includes the anemone, a gorgonian which technically has a skeleton but is still considered a softy and some sponges.

Photos :
Initial setup
1.JPG

This surprisingly decent light - less then $100 and it has 3 channels (blue, UV and white)
2.JPG

March
march.jpg

April
april.JPG

Early July
july.JPG

End of July.
endofjuly.JPG

ss.JPG

I am in the process of adding a few more random softies so I'll have new pictures in a few days. There are a few issues with this tank, nothing too serious. Since this is getting long I'll add them to my next post.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is starting to look good, before I get even further ahead I should have a build thread. I started this tank in February 2018. This is my 3rd time keeping sexy shrimp. I had them in a 2 gallon pico reef and they were able to do enough damage to some corals since most things were just 1-2 polyps. I briefly had an anemone cube tank that had sexy shrimp as well. Both previous times they had eggs a lot, I figured I'll do a tank around them and hopefully get a chance to raise them. Interestingly enough since I am now ready to make an effort to raise them I've only seen eggs a couple of times. I actually have a tank almost ready to relocate egg carrying females and brine shrimp eggs in my fridge. I suppose I should put some water in it and get it going so next time I see eggs I'll just net her and leave her in the tank until she releases.

The big reason I went this route was I thought they'd make a good species as a first try at captive breeding, I may or may not get there but regardless this has turned into a fun little reef over the past 6 months.

This is also quite a budget reef, if this was my main tank I would probably have more on it but at this point there really isn't much need for more other then maybe a second powerhead. There are just 3 things plugged into this tank.

Equipment :

Standard 10 gallon tank
micmol Aqua Air AA-300 - I had my doubts about this cheapo light but it grows soft corals without issue includes ramp up and ramp down features and a built in timer all for less then $100 cnd. It's nice looking and low profile but under most circumstances any standard black box is probably a better buy. I just wanted to try this.

koralia nano powerhead - I forget which model its either the 240gph or the one up from that.
random heater I had laying around and that's it. I originally had a small hob filter with a tiny bit of carbon, I would actually prefer to still have this but the sexy shrimp would end up inside the filter frequently and I did not want to lose any this way.

Livestock :
5? lbs of live rock. I have a mess of a frag tank which has tons of live rock I just want to keep live. This was not lit so it was ghost white when I put it in however it had been live for some time. A super shallow sand bed. My reef is bare bottom but I decided to add some sand here. I don't like all my tanks to be the same.

Sexy Shrimp Thor amboinensis - I started with 11 and have 8 now. One just died, one disappeared and one died a while back.

The only livestock I bought for this tank was 2 flower anemones, one also died but the other is doing great. The remaining livestock comes from my other tanks. I have decided to keep this tank soft corals only. My main tank is a mixed reef and the reason it's mixed is because I like almost every coral. I want a themed tank. The bending of softies only includes the anemone, a gorgonian which technically has a skeleton but is still considered a softy and some sponges.

Photos :
Initial setup
1.JPG

This surprisingly decent light - less then $100 and it has 3 channels (blue, UV and white)
2.JPG

March
march.jpg

April
april.JPG

Early July
july.JPG

End of July.
endofjuly.JPG

ss.JPG

I am in the process of adding a few more random softies so I'll have new pictures in a few days. There are a few issues with this tank, nothing too serious. Since this is getting long I'll add them to my next post.

Love this!

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's really starting to look like a reef. I've finally gotten around to scraping most of the hair algae off the back and sides. Just a little more to go on one side. I did not want to do it all at once since I siphon out what I don't get with the scraper. I would like to run carbon for a couple of days but the sexy shrimp get sucked up by the filter. A second powerhead is on the to buy list.

IMG_9441.JPG

IMG_9442.JPG

This little bit of macro actually came with the shrimp, I've added a small piece back into the tank since it's just stocked with softies.

IMG_9446.JPG

IMG_9452.JPG

IMG_9460.JPG

IMG_9468.JPG

IMG_9454.JPG

IMG_9450.JPG

More to come. I should again note the anemone is the only piece I actually bought for this tank other then the sexy shrimp themselves. Everything else came from other tanks I have.

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend a lot of time on the weekend cleaning the tank up as much as possible. I also added a bunch more frags from my frag tank. My frag tank is an overgrown mess to say the least so it only makes sense to put some more corals in here as long as they look good. Still sticking with soft corals only but added a couple of things and filled in the kenya trees. I seriously have about 100 of these frags in my frag tank I might as well use some for display.

IMG_9628.JPG

IMG_9647.JPG
IMG_9685.JPG

IMG_9721.JPG

IMG_9604.JPG

Unfortunately in a soft coral tank with sexy shrimp it can be trying waiting for every single coral to open up for a FTS. I waited 2 days and this is as close as I got. If I wait any longer I'll have to rescape the glass, run new carbon ect. Since this tank is minimally filtered it is prone to algae on the glass ect.

IMG_9748.JPG

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is continuing to come along. It's not looking very minimal anymore. I'm also looking to remove a lot of frags from my frag tank and with no local market they likely could just end up in here. I won't let it get too cluttered but maybe completely filled it will look good. I've also let the macro algae grow quite a bit. The only downside is flatworms can hide in there. This is the only tank I have them in so once I add something to here I generally don't take it out. If I do add too much coral I can always dip them before returning them to another tank.

One sexy shrimp jumped out unfortunately but the rest are all still doing well. Initially this was just going to be a little experiment tank with a few select corals but it's become a full on reef. I wanted to try and raise the shimp and probably still will but they don't seem to have eggs like clockwork. In my previous experience keeping sexy shrimp I seem to remember them having eggs a lot. The odd time I see one with eggs here I never end up catching her for whatever reason.

Now that the population has thinned out a bit and there are much more hiding spots they seem to branch out a lot more, only coming together for feedings. Since they will eat corals, the gorg has suffered a bit I try and feed them almost every day. Everyday = algae issues since this tank just has a couple lbs of rock for filtration and the occasional use of a sponge in a pico filter.

IMG_0424.JPG
IMG_0425.JPG
IMG_0428.JPG

IMG_0422.JPG

IMG_0420.JPG

Video for the month as well :

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Equipment :

Standard 10 gallon tank

Livestock :

Photos :
Initial setup
1.JPG

2.JPG

March
march.jpg

April
april.JPG

Early July
july.JPG

End of July.
endofjuly.JPG

ss.JPG

Me like, thanks for sharing

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great video! Do they generally show aggression toward each other? I saw a little in the video, but that may have just been belligerence over food. They seem a bit skittish overall, but if I was a tiny scavenger I would probably be the same way.

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggression is somewhat of a mixed bag. On the one hand they are often "dancing" to attract a mate. The larger ones are female and the smaller ones are males.

On the other there is some fighting and I have had a few disappear. You'd think in a 10 gallon you could have 50 but that probably wouldn't end well. Maybe it would be different if I had more anemones. They don't really hang out with the flower anemone. In the past I kept them with mini carpets and in a hadoni and more then one would spend the bulk of their time in the anemone. This is also a fishless system so they have nothing to fear. Mysid shrimp and all kinds of other critters also are out and about in daylight hours.

They are a real interesting creature and mostly low maintenance. I highly recommend them if you don't mind having a satellite tank.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“”I highly recommend them if you don't mind having a satellite tank.””

What is a satellite tank ??

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had two in my old tank .. they lived in my frogspawn ... had them a while then one died and shortly after the other disappeared .. after seeing this thread I think I’m gonna get a couple more for this tank !!!!
Sooooooo thanks for sharing !!!!!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely getting some for the pico after Christmas.

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“”I highly recommend them if you don't mind having a satellite tank.””

What is a satellite tank ??

Not your main tank. You can keep them with some fish, but keep in mind they are basically the size of PE mysis. Additionally I would not classify them as reef safe, but that being said they are the size of PE Mysis. They can't exactly destroy corals. IMO most of what they are eating is the slime produced by the corals but they certainly do eat some flesh. If you feed them often they will prefer the prepared food to corals.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say i never had problems with them !! Or rather never noticed Anything ..but i think my tank can handle a couple of these :D

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've really cleaned this tank up the last few days but do have a few issues.
The biggest thing was I stopped removing the flatworms manually. It didn't take long to get out of hand. So I picked up some flatworm exit and once again removed as many as I could. I've since treated the tank 3 times at higher than the recommended dose and I still have a couple hanging around.. I hope I can wipe out the last few and they don't repopulate. The flower anemone moved to the back of the tank, and the sexy shrimp have almost eaten the entire gorgonian but it's really the only coral I see them eating.

The rest of the corals are doing great and the tank is looking good. The macro algae has exploded. I probably could remove some but for now I'm just letting it get out of control deliberately.

8.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
1.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back