10 percent water change causing green slime algae?

tokigami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done a water change in 3 months. 48 hours ago i did a 10% water change using red sea pro salt. I made a fresh batch of rodi water and dts was 0- today i noticed massive green slime looking like algae growing in the sump and brown algae on the glass. Could this have somehow threw off the tank and caused a slime algae outbreak?

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am tempted to say: Unlikely, 10% is a pretty small water change.

But, clearly, something within the last 48 hours promoted the algae/cyano bloom. The water change would have infused fresh nutrients into the system, which could cause a small outbreak.

What about the source water, is it RO/DI?

Did you test any nutrients (specifically phosphates and nitrates) before and/or after the water change?

Did you stir the sandbed or refugium as part of the 'cleaning' process?

That is all I can think of to ask right now, but I just woke up from a nap, so I might have more questions later ;)

MikeO5422

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I start see diatoms following water changes, which to me is a sign to change out my RO filters, resin, and/or membrane. Change it out and all is well.

I am under the impression that a TDS meter cant catch things like silicates which can cause diatoms. But I don't know for sure.

OP
OP
tokigami

tokigami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am tempted to say: Unlikely, 10% is a pretty small water change.

But, clearly, something within the last 48 hours promoted the algae/cyano bloom. The water change would have infused fresh nutrients into the system, which could cause a small outbreak.

What about the source water, is it RO/DI?

Did you test any nutrients (specifically phosphates and nitrates) before and/or after the water change?

Did you stir the sandbed or refugium as part of the 'cleaning' process?

That is all I can think of to ask right now, but I just woke up from a nap, so I might have more questions later ;)
Thanks for the comments I'm monitoring it

OP
OP
tokigami

tokigami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the organisms in the tank were being limited by something such as iron, then removing that limitation with even a small water change can boost their growth.
Thanks I think this is what happened becouse I have a massive chaeto reactor and I think all iron was depleted and the water change brought in iron.

OP
OP
tokigami

tokigami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I think this is what happened becouse I have a massive chaeto reactor and I think all iron was depleted and the water change brought in iron.
Should I dose iron to keep up with the chaeto demand?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 96 44.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 100 46.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 21 9.7%
Back