I dream dreams of a clean tank, but reality always sticks it's ugly head into the design. I am coming from a planted tank background - Love Aqua Amano Design, but not something I can end up duplicating. Started with only the filter pipes and CO2 diffuser in the tank, but now have a second filter, second circulation pump, will be adding a adhoc filter on it this weekend (and hopefully removing the second filter). Have dreamed of putting it a bottom plumped overflow and hiding everything in a sump.
One annoying idea I came up with is hiding a switched power bar behind the stand's front top brace - with all the outlets connecting blind on the back side (every outlet is individually switched). It is clean (you can not see it without laying on the floor) and convenient (can turn anything off with a push of a button), but nerve racking trying to plug anything in. Kind of have to stick your finger in the outlet to determine orientation and location first.
Even with the sump, the reef tank will have more stuff in it. Depressing. That said, I am considering putting a false wall in a sump door sump to hide wires behind. I would make a goal as no bricks visible, but will have to seriously think of air circulation to keep them cool.
All that said, sure this thread will be dead and burred before my tank stand is completed.