10+ year old clownfish breathing fast with damage to dorsal fin

jonyaple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my pair of clownfish for over 10 years and they've been through multiple ich infestations and a cross country move. I just recently added QT'd fish from Dr. Reefs QT fish about 3 days ago and noticed that one of my clownfish is breathing fast and just sitting on the bottom. It has damage to the dorsal fin but I am not sure if it is from Brook. Can Brook appear on a fish in 3 days? It was eating just fine yesterday and now will not eat. The fish I added were a royal gramma, scissortail goby, green clown goby, a clam, and green bubble tip anemone.

Thanks!

thumbnail.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've had my pair of clownfish for over 10 years and they've been through multiple ich infestations and a cross country move. I just recently added QT'd fish from Dr. Reefs QT fish about 3 days ago and noticed that one of my clownfish is breathing fast and just sitting on the bottom. It has damage to the dorsal fin but I am not sure if it is from Brook. Can Brook appear on a fish in 3 days? It was eating just fine yesterday and now will not eat. The fish I added were a royal gramma, scissortail goby, green clown goby, a clam, and green bubble tip anemone.

Thanks!

thumbnail.jpg
Brook wouldnt or at east shouldnt cause this damage as mechanical damage would be more likely but with aging, this could be a possibility. Will need a couple of pics of fish other than its back for better assessment

OP
OP
jonyaple

jonyaple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. I did hear something from my tank this morning, I wonder if it jumped and hit the lid. I attached a video of the clownfish. He seems to be doing better after a water change and turning the lights off though.

Attachments

• clownfish.mov
    12.8 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. I did hear something from my tank this morning, I wonder if it jumped and hit the lid. I attached a video of the clownfish. He seems to be doing better after a water change and turning the lights off though.

Three days is pretty fast for new fish to bring a disease into a tank, and then, typically, the new fish, being active carriers, would show symptoms first.

My thought is that this is some territorial fighting issue that came up because the tank's dynamics were changed by the addition of new fish, or as said, an age-related problem with the clownfish, and even a combination of both issues.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back