HELP! Clownfish stringy poop, not eating, fast breathing

RaduNRV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys and thanks for having me on this forum. I’m new to reefing but I already ran into an issue with one of my recently purchased clownfish. Two weeks ago bought a pair of clownfish somewhere around 3-4 months old (I think) and both of them were very energetic and eating like it was their last meal (pellets and Artemia with vitamins) however last week saw the female having some stringy white poop and was breathing kind of fast compared to the male. Spoke to a friend who advised me to keep an eye on her for the next days. 4 days ago she stopped eating and her breathing accelerated. Male is fine though. Had a look on the forum and thought that she might have parasites/ worms in her belly so as a first treatment started adding Metronidazole to the DT (no QT but definitely need to set one up) 2 days ago. Today I added the second treatment with metronidazole but I don’t see any improvements. Still not eating, rapid breathing, haven’t seen the stringy poop and she sits behind the rocks in the shadows. I’ve also added some pics with the fish. Any advice is more than welcome as I don’t want to lose her. Much appreciated!

Edit: as I was writing this post female has another small stringy poop and it seems that also the male started breathing a little more rapidly :( IMG_7714.png IMG_7716.png IMG_7718.png IMG_7715.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey guys and thanks for having me on this forum. I’m new to reefing but I already ran into an issue with one of my recently purchased clownfish. Two weeks ago bought a pair of clownfish somewhere around 3-4 months old (I think) and both of them were very energetic and eating like it was their last meal (pellets and Artemia with vitamins) however last week saw the female having some stringy white poop and was breathing kind of fast compared to the male. Spoke to a friend who advised me to keep an eye on her for the next days. 4 days ago she stopped eating and her breathing accelerated. Male is fine though. Had a look on the forum and thought that she might have parasites/ worms in her belly so as a first treatment started adding Metronidazole to the DT (no QT but definitely need to set one up) 2 days ago. Today I added the second treatment with metronidazole but I don’t see any improvements. Still not eating, rapid breathing, haven’t seen the stringy poop and she sits behind the rocks in the shadows. I’ve also added some pics with the fish. Any advice is more than welcome as I don’t want to lose her. Much appreciated!

Edit: as I was writing this post female has another small stringy poop and it seems that also the male started breathing a little more rapidly :( IMG_7714.png IMG_7716.png IMG_7718.png IMG_7715.jpeg
Fish does not show sign such as thinness and may be due to feeding brine shrimp and mysis shrimp which causes excess mucus mimicking white feces/internal issues

OP
OP
R

RaduNRV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish does not show sign such as thinness and may be due to feeding brine shrimp and mysis shrimp which causes excess mucus mimicking white feces/internal issues
Thanks for the fast response. Should I stop feeding artemia then? And more importantly when will she start eating again if it’s because of the artemia?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the fast response. Should I stop feeding artemia then? And more importantly when will she start eating again if it’s because of the artemia?
I think the breathing is the most important issue. White stringy poop will not cause 'fast breathing'. I would be concerned about a disease (velvet) or less likely flukes - or a chemical issue (ammonia)

OP
OP
R

RaduNRV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the breathing is the most important issue. White stringy poop will not cause 'fast breathing'. I would be concerned about a disease (velvet) or less likely flukes - or a chemical issue (ammonia)
chemical issue don’t think so as my parameters are good: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5 nitrates. Salinity 35, PH 8 and Alk 7.5. Tank has 25 Gallons and the overflow and the wave pump are breaking the water surface very well + I’m also using a tunze 9001 skimmer so oxygen should be fine. However at the moment I’ve turned the skimmer and the UV off for the metronidazole treatment. Also checked her gills today from closeup but couldn’t see anything like mucus or flukes and was thinking that I could do a fwd but tbh I’m afraid that I’ll stress her to the point where she can’t take it anymore.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chemical issue don’t think so as my parameters are good: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5 nitrates. Salinity 35, PH 8 and Alk 7.5. Tank has 25 Gallons and the overflow and the wave pump are breaking the water surface very well + I’m also using a tunze 9001 skimmer so oxygen should be fine. However at the moment I’ve turned the skimmer and the UV off for the metronidazole treatment. Also checked her gills today from closeup but couldn’t see anything like mucus or flukes and was thinking that I could do a fwd but tbh I’m afraid that I’ll stress her to the point where she can’t take it anymore.
We see this a lot in new clownfish. There may be various causes; protozoan, bacterial or viral. Water quality issues can also cause this, but you’ve ruled that out.

I’m not clear as to the best treatment in this case. Sometimes it is isolated to a single fish, but here it seems to be both fish.

I don’t think a FW dip is going to help.

OP
OP
R

RaduNRV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: she’s still not eating and today I saw this white stringy poop coming out which has these big lumps in it. Also there’s something small and white attached to her above the left fin. I’m starting to freak out. Could this be worm infection?

Attachments

• IMG_7729.png
    IMG_7729.png
    626.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7730.png
    IMG_7730.png
    654.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7731.png
    IMG_7731.png
    639.7 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
R

RaduNRV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed something else. Three dots salt like on her side. Pics attached. Could be ich?

IMG_7734.jpeg IMG_7736.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed something else. Three dots salt like on her side. Pics attached. Could be ich?

IMG_7734.jpeg IMG_7736.jpeg

Those spots could be sand, or could be ich. Worst case is that it is ich, but that is not causing the stringy feces and not eating.

Typically, I dose metronidazole in the water to treat if this is the protozoan cause for this. However, you cannot dose that in tanks with coral or other invertebrates. You could try Ruby Reef Rally Pro, which is less effective, but a lot milder.

OP
OP
R

RaduNRV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those spots could be sand, or could be ich. Worst case is that it is ich, but that is not causing the stringy feces and not eating.

Typically, I dose metronidazole in the water to treat if this is the protozoan cause for this. However, you cannot dose that in tanks with coral or other invertebrates. You could try Ruby Reef Rally Pro, which is less effective, but a lot milder.
Don’t have anything in the tank besides the two clowns. I already dosed twice metro. Any idea why the poop has lumps in it? Is she eliminating the parasites?

OP
OP
R

RaduNRV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: found her today acting really strange swimming chaotically in the tank with no direction what so ever. She was also having a white body sides and belly (pics attached). I decided to euthanize her as she was clearly going through a lot of pain and suffering.

Attachments

• IMG_7747.jpeg
    IMG_7747.jpeg
    251.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7746.jpeg
    IMG_7746.jpeg
    273 KB · Views: 16

JustMarks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: found her today acting really strange swimming chaotically in the tank with no direction what so ever. She was also having a white body sides and belly (pics attached). I decided to euthanize her as she was clearly going through a lot of pain and suffering.
so sad

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back