Bimac Anthias dying

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed weeks ago one of my bimacs breathing rapidly and her gills protruded out, almost freaky looking. Over the course of these weeks, she has been in hiding and not eating that I’ve seen. She has shown interest in food but I haven’t seen her eat.
Today, her color is very light and she’s a little uncoordinated. Breathing is unchanged. I don’t see spots or marks on her and can’t see anything in her gills. Her fins look awful and I caught my blue hippo pecking at them, which surprised me coming from the blue hippo. At this point, I’d like for the blue tang to leave her alone and let her die in peace. But I’m curious to know what might be going on with this heavy, rapid breathing pattern. I’ve seen rapid breathing but never have I seen gills that protrude out like she is showing. Any guesses?

IMG_4748.jpeg

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fresh water dip for relief and there's a good chance that you will see them come out. Prazipro will treat her, and there's a good chance the rest of the fish have it now too. Always Quarantine your fish. There are ZERO excuses.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I noticed weeks ago one of my bimacs breathing rapidly and her gills protruded out, almost freaky looking. Over the course of these weeks, she has been in hiding and not eating that I’ve seen. She has shown interest in food but I haven’t seen her eat.
Today, her color is very light and she’s a little uncoordinated. Breathing is unchanged. I don’t see spots or marks on her and can’t see anything in her gills. Her fins look awful and I caught my blue hippo pecking at them, which surprised me coming from the blue hippo. At this point, I’d like for the blue tang to leave her alone and let her die in peace. But I’m curious to know what might be going on with this heavy, rapid breathing pattern. I’ve seen rapid breathing but never have I seen gills that protrude out like she is showing. Any guesses?

IMG_4748.jpeg
I dont see gill flukes or a medication need but heavy evidence of aggression/bullying and damage by tank mates as fins are shredded and evidence of bite marks while few has stressed this fish out. The gills are likely due to injury.
What other fish are in with it beside hippo tang?
Any scratching, darting or other lethargic behavior you have noticed?
Isolation is the best thing you can provide plus added oxygen with air stone. Light is bright, but if body is blemished, add ruby rally pro or seachem neoplex to prevent infection and these will help with fin damage.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see gill flukes or a medication need but heavy evidence of aggression/bullying and damage by tank mates as fins are shredded and evidence of bite marks while few has stressed this fish out. The gills are likely due to injury.
What other fish are in with it beside hippo tang?
Any scratching, darting or other lethargic behavior you have noticed?
Isolation is the best thing you can provide plus added oxygen with air stone. Light is bright, but if body is blemished, add ruby rally pro or seachem neoplex to prevent infection and these will help with fin damage.
I haven’t noticed any behavior you mentioned. There are four other bimacs, a Watanabe and lemon peel Angel, two clowns, and a royal gramma.

I don’t see any blemishes. I’ll try to isolate her and see how she does, and make a trip to the LFS for one of those treatments.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I haven’t noticed any behavior you mentioned. There are four other bimacs, a Watanabe and lemon peel Angel, two clowns, and a royal gramma.

I don’t see any blemishes. I’ll try to isolate her and see how she does, and make a trip to the LFS for one of those treatments.
Suspects - clowns or hepatus tang

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suspects - clowns or hepatus tang
Yeah I’ve definitely seen the hippo in action. I’m surprised to see that kind of behavior from a blue hippo but it also makes sense. This fish is different than any other blue hippo I’ve ever seen. He’ll probably be the one to eat my corals as well.

Got the Bimac isolated and I’ll hit the LFS ASAP.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah I’ve definitely seen the hippo in action. I’m surprised to see that kind of behavior from a blue hippo but it also makes sense. This fish is different than any other blue hippo I’ve ever seen. He’ll probably be the one to eat my corals as well.

Got the Bimac isolated and I’ll hit the LFS ASAP.
isolation will benefit fish greatly

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a fish last for several weeks with flukes?
Flukes can be a chronic disease, with fish hosting a minor infection for months. The fluke population can grow at some point, causing an acute infection. However, flukes generally infect all fish of the same species equally. With other anthias in the tank, if they aren’t showing symptoms, flukes are less clear as a diagnosis.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back