I think my snowflake eel might be dying, what can I do to help??

Michelle Backlund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I went away for Christmas for about two weeks, my snowflake eel was just fine when I came back home. Eating her frozen shrimp and chipper like always. (She actually ate really well, more than usual in one feeding.)
I was only home for two days before i took off again for 3 days. I felt bad leaving her again so I tossed in a few extra frozen shrimp to float on top in case she wanted a snack for later.
I got home today and she didn’t eat the shrimp I left, and she’s really not moving, just kind of lying there. Sluggish. Her breathing seems faster, like she’s gasping for air, but I have a great bubbler that adds a good amount of oxygen to the tank.
Her nose also seems to be more blue…
I got her as a juvenile and have had her for almost two years.
Anyone know what might be the issue? I’m extremely worried.
See video. Had to hold her to show nose discoloration.
Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello! I went away for Christmas for about two weeks, my snowflake eel was just fine when I came back home. Eating her frozen shrimp and chipper like always. (She actually ate really well, more than usual in one feeding.)
I was only home for two days before i took off again for 3 days. I felt bad leaving her again so I tossed in a few extra frozen shrimp to float on top in case she wanted a snack for later.
I got home today and she didn’t eat the shrimp I left, and she’s really not moving, just kind of lying there. Sluggish. Her breathing seems faster, like she’s gasping for air, but I have a great bubbler that adds a good amount of oxygen to the tank.
Her nose also seems to be more blue…
I got her as a juvenile and have had her for almost two years.
Anyone know what might be the issue? I’m extremely worried.
See video. Had to hold her to show nose discoloration.
Thanks
Sounds like the water has become fouled, in particular the nitrate level which they dont tolerate well. As you know water quality and with skimming is essential for them. You did not mention water changes or testing and may be a starting point.
Dont see any video

OP
OP
M

Michelle Backlund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the water has become fouled, in particular the nitrate level which they dont tolerate well. As you know water quality and with skimming is essential for them. You did not mention water changes or testing and may be a starting point.
Dont see any video
Oops, sorry, thought the video posted. There are a few floaters in there from moving rocks around right before that video. But this shows how dark the nose is and how sluggish she’s being.
It tested fine almost a week ago, but I do want to test it again tomorrow just to make sure! Thank you
Dont see any video

IMG_1726.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oops, sorry, thought the video posted. There are a few floaters in there from moving rocks around right before that video. But this shows how dark the nose is and how sluggish she’s being.
It tested fine almost a week ago, but I do want to test it again tomorrow just to make sure! Thank you

IMG_1726.jpeg

Looks like bruising on the nose and if not may be again due to water quality as water appears to be milky in appearance

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Leaving food in a tank when you leave is not a good idea. Eels can go weeks without food, but uneaten food can foul the water, or cause food poisoning in the eel if it then tries to eat the rotten food.

Are there other fish in the tank? If so, and they are all fine, then it might not be a water quality issue.

You should not be able to hike a healthy eel in your hand like that, so something is seriously wrong with it.

The snout does seem like bruising, at least it isn’t a normal disease symptom.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back