Squirt injury?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed Squirt seemed to have some slime coming off her and off her fins. Looking closer at her it appears she has several spots that look to be injuries. Im moving her to a hospital tank. I started kanaplex and focus in cause its an infection.

@vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal @MnFish1

Any ideas?

She is eating fine and was breathing fine. I took a video of her in the bowl while acclimating her to the hospital tank so her breathing is probably fast because shes stressed.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the slime that was scuffing off of her

Attachments

• IMG_4648.jpeg
    IMG_4648.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 46

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the slime that was scuffing off of her
I can’t say what that slime is - I don’t suppose you have a microscope?

Never ever mix kanaplex and Focus though! Two issues: internal antibiotics have limited benefit against external bacteria. Then, unless you actually calculate the dose, chances are you will be under or over. Under dose has no benefit and kanamycin is toxic if overdosed.

If you treat the water, it is safer and more effective for external issues. Of course, this has to be done in a treatment tank.

Jay

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t say what that slime is - I don’t suppose you have a microscope?

Never ever mix kanaplex and Focus though! Two issues: internal antibiotics have limited benefit against external bacteria. Then, unless you actually calculate the dose, chances are you will be under or over. Under dose has no benefit and kanamycin is toxic if overdosed.

If you treat the water, it is safer and more effective for external issues. Of course, this has to be done in a treatment tank.

Jay
Oh I thought the focus bound it to the food? Good to know. And I dont have a microscope. She seems better this morning, not seeing that weird slime stuff

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I thought the focus bound it to the food? Good to know. And I dont have a microscope. She seems better this morning, not seeing that weird slime stuff
Focus does bind medication to the food. However, my question to you would be; exactly how much medication is the fish getting? You won’t know, so that is the risk.

The only way to accurately dose oral medication is by weighing it out. This post explains that:

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Focus does bind medication to the food. However, my question to you would be; exactly how much medication is the fish getting? You won’t know, so that is the risk.

The only way to accurately dose oral medication is by weighing it out. This post explains that:
Oh gotcha. Ill take a look at that thread! Thank you. Do The white patches look like injuries to you?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh gotcha. Ill take a look at that thread! Thank you. Do The white patches look like injuries to you?
Could be, I can only really see the one on its left side, midway back.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be, I can only really see the one on its left side, midway back.
Yes thats the biggest one. She has two smaller dots that look older. I suspect my eel Ivar might have bit her during a feeding, he has been a food hog lately and taking food from the water column in between his regular feedings

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy to report she is doing a lot better! Im thinking the eels were harassing her, she would build a cave and then they would come over and take it from her. Plan is to move her back to my 70 after she is out of the hospital tank. Shes one tough little cookie, got velvet when she was a centimeter when I had the outbreak when I first started. She was the only survivor. Im super attached to her! Thank you @Jay Hemdal

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back